Search the forum,

Discuss Old Radiator Bleed Valve Replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

w.bailhache

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My wife and I are DIYing our sitting room (repaint etc etc). I took the old rads off the wall to have them sand blasted and powder coated, thinking it would be much nicer to have the old ones used than spend money on new. While they were away the inner pin from one of the bleed valves went missing.

After much head scratching and visiting various plumbers merchants I realised that what I thought was the valve was in fact the inner pin and that I could remove the whole thing. Great! ...I thought... I can replace the whole valve. The old valve is 1/8 BSP. I have 4 new 1/8 BSP valves from B and Q, as well as a chrome one, the same size, from another plumbers merchant (the radiators are double panel and have a bleed valve for each, change one change all)!

I know that the old valve thread is in good nick as I watched a salesman screw it, one of my new ones from B and Q, and the chrome one I bought from him into a nut with a 1/8 BSP thread.

None of the valves, including the original, will successfully screw back into the radiator. We've spent (for us) a significant sum on these, what turn out to be rather cheap and not worth the money we've spent on the damn things, radiators.

Options that I have considered:

1) buy two new radiators and the various extenders to make sure they fit. The issue with this option is cost.

2) drill out the bleed valve hole, get a tap and die set, tap the new hole and buy a bolt big enough to fit it. The issue here is that a) I've never tapped a screw thread in my life and, b) getting a bolt with an at least 11mm diameter.

3) get some king of central heating cement, fill the bleed valve hole with it, tap a new hole on the back of the radiator, and screw in a standard screw with some PTFE to act as a bleed vent. The issue here, as far as I can tell, is the possibility of the cement or the new screw or both giving out, or being ineffective in the first place.

Please advise on the what you think the best option is, bearing in mind that we don't have buckets of cash lying around and have wasted a load on these things already.

Obviously, what I would really like is a solution that will last long term.

Will.

New rads by the sound of it.

were the old rads the old school type?

Are you sure that the rad in question is 1/8 bsp. I remember working on a estate where they looked 1/8 but were corse thread and took alot of messing about to get hold of.
Also if your sure just try to clean out the threads with 1/8 tap. Maybe blocked with powder coat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Radiator Bleed Valve Replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
I bought the a bleed valve from S****fix about a year ago: s****fix.com/p/radiator-vent-blanking-plug-nickel-2-pack/40972 It worked fine initially, but I noticed that the little bleed screw needed to be turned a little tighter each time I bled that radiator to seal it up again. Having bled it...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and the old cast iron radiators need a refresh, and i'm going to fit some new bleed valves amongst other things. The female thread in most of the rads...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in New Mexico US... I have a fifties boiler with floorboard radiant hydronic heating. The old valves are corroded and not working. I have found a bushing valve combo that has same threading but different profile. Please anyone knows of source for old valve types... Or, can the new...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock