Search the forum,

Discuss Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the 10 to 12 piece is removed. I would hammer 1 towards 7 or 9 towards 3 which ever gave the most bite.

When the 10 to 12 piece is removed. I would hammer 1 towards 7 or 9 towards 3 which ever gave the most bite.

I wasn`t trying to undo it, more like folding it in towards the centre thus releasing the "grip".

These rads are not designed to work at 3 bar pressure which is the safety valve setting on your combi.
They have spent there lives so far in open vented systems with a head pressure of a floor or two i.e. 0.6 - 1bar.

If I were you I would be testing them first as SimonG suggested, then I would fit a safety valve with a lower setting to the system!

BTW - TBOE for the con's

pressure wont be a problem ive had cast rads with 8 floors on them all the big buildings in london originally had cast iron rads

pressure wont be a problem ive had cast rads with 8 floors on them all the big buildings in london originally had cast iron rads

+1 what do you think the old boilers were made off/ construction

Thanks everyone-will try the hacksaw method.

The rads have only recently been removed from buildings where I understand they were working but boiler being fitted Sun so will mention about the safety valve as I don't want to ruin (any more!) of them. Is a sealant necessary for the stop ends on the rads or just PTFE and if so whats the best thing if LSX isn't good for this?

Thanks everyone-will try the hacksaw method.

The rads have only recently been removed from buildings where I understand they were working but boiler being fitted Sun so will mention about the safety valve as I don't want to ruin (any more!) of them. Is a sealant necessary for the stop ends on the rads or just PTFE and if so whats the best thing if LSX isn't good for this?

boss white and hemp

[video=youtube;bFXgwO9qszY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXgwO9qszY[/video]

boss white and hemp

[video=youtube;bFXgwO9qszY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFXgwO9qszY[/video]

That paste he's using isn't much like boss white though? The guy in the video seems to think the paste is just for lubrication. Anyone else here tried hemp without boss? It don't seal lol!

I like using Boss and hemp. Makes me feel old-school :)

Last edited:
That paste he's using isn't much like boss white though? The guy in the video seems to think the paste is just for lubrication. Anyone else here tried hemp without boss? It don't seal lol!

It's an American vid so will be pipe dope but use boss white instead and apply like vid and it is required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old cast iron column radiators flow return-urgent help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock