Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy toilet or overfill in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A

AdamB1

Hi, I have a question about my toilet.

I've noticed if I half close the water valve the filling slow and noisy but it stops once the basin is full. If I open the the water valve fully then it is less noisy but the float cup reaches the top but the water doesn't stop refilling for several seconds leading to overflow going down the overflow pipe.

I could simply decide if I want the nose or the overflow, but Is this normal behaviour? Or is there something I need to replace or adjust?

Thanks

Is your fill height simply set too high?

I'm wondering whether you have an equilibrium type fill valve that takes a few seconds to 'realise' that the correct water level has been reached and so it continues to dispense water for this period? A solution might be to slightly lower the set water level so that the result is the correct height of fill. IIRC the overflow level (which you probably can't adjust) should be at least an inch (25.4mm) higher than the normal fill height (which you can adjust). Of course, the correct fill level will usually be marked on the cistern wall.

The noise you are experiencing is probably coming from the isolation valve... which isn't really designed to be run half open.

Right thanks. I've fully opened the isolator valve and fiddled with the water level thing. I'm not sure exactly what I've changed but it seems to shut off the water faster now when full so no overfill.

Thanks for the advice.

Right thanks. I've fully opened the isolator valve and fiddled with the water level thing. I'm not sure exactly what I've changed but it seems to shut off the water faster now when full so no overfill.

Thanks for the advice.
Good to hear it's now working - even if you're not sure how :)

Reply to Noisy toilet or overfill in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock