Discuss NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's what you want, go for it! Good luck with the move.

The PlayStation generation (generally) don't want to do anything that you can do if you can do it bet ter in a game.

Also I think they've realised they're not going to get that 50k a year.

As a member of the Playstation generation, or at least the N64 generation, I can honestly say that you may be right generally, but I could make similar generalisations about your generation, and you might not appreciate it. I'm sure you don't mean to cause offence, but I'm finding it really hard not to take it.

My point is that that this sort of talk just makes whoever is being generalised think: Two Fingers!

Imagine starting a sentence with 'Black people (generally)...'. Can you see where I am coming from?

It took a while for me to get into plumbing (at age 24 and still on my apprenticeship) but as many have said why work at a few £ an hour when your 16 when you can go to a supermarket and get double the wage. Looking back I should of got into the industry earlier but being 18 and on double what I'm on now its hard to think why anyone else would if they really didn't want to get into plumbing.

As a member of the Playstation generation, or at least the N64 generation, I can honestly say that you may be right generally, but I could make similar generalisations about your generation, and you might not appreciate it. I'm sure you don't mean to cause offence, but I'm finding it really hard not to take it.

My point is that that this sort of talk just makes whoever is being generalised think: Two Fingers!

Imagine starting a sentence with 'Black people (generally)...'. Can you see where I am coming from?

None taken, I know people who have made comments about my generation before and they had been right and wrong.

But I was making a generalisation concerning some of the students I met at college.
I could have stated that this was based on personal experiences and not just something I read in the paper; for which I apologise for any offence caused.
It was like 16, 17, and maybe 18 year olds who behaving like they don't want to know.

Throwing bits of pipe, pens or anything else about the workshop; or sword fights with lengths of copper pipe 4 or 5 feet long.
Constantly on mobiles in class/workshop, no matter how many times told to put them away; going off topic, talking amongst themselves, making weird noises and no they did not have an involuntary response condition.
Going to class without course book, paper pad, pen or anything, then saying "I didn't know what we were doing I thought we were in workshop"; so why did they turn up in class at the same day and time as they have done for weeks.
Going to morning / lunch / afternoon break and not coming back for rest of the day because what they were doing was "boring".
All students were told how important maths are and a number of examples were given, including some of personal experience.
But they walk out of a class because they can't understand the tutor (neither could anyone), but she was writing everything down correctly, I followed it and learnt something (I have always had bad maths so took the opportunity offered), but it was to difficult for them.
Turning up for maths and there is no tutor, and instead of going to library and studying or finding a maths tutor and asking for some work they close blinds, turn off lights, use class PC and large screen and put a film on, after messing about and swearing; there were a number of students who were trying to study but ended up leaving that lesson.
There were teenage students on a health course who caused so much disruption in maths the tutor was regularly in tears and ended up leaving the college.

I made a complaint and the head of maths was telling me about the problems they are having.

From what I saw at college of those who were early twenties or younger (whose ages I could identify), there were some but not all who did not seem that interested, from my personal experience they were generally not interested.
Even the tutor stopped giving out homework because not many students were bothering to do it.

And I'm not saying where this college is.

Sounds more or less the same as my college 20 years ago, it will never change.

Last edited:
Sounds more or less the same as my college 20 years ago, it will never change.

Wow. Sounds bad. I must be luckier than I thought at my college then. Before I enrolled on my course at Hyffoddiant Ceredigion Training, the first thing the head of plumbing did was sit me down and try to find out what I expected to get from plumbing - and what were my salary expectations. Once he was satisfied that I had a general interest, he managed to persuade me to study there.

Because the college is not trying to get people onto the course that aren't actually interested or for whom the course would not be suitable, there are only 5 of us in our year and the course faces an uncertain future in the long term. Ironic that a college that is actually acting in the interests of its students is seen as more of a failure than one that is happy to take on people that shouldn't be there at all.

If we are left to our own devices, we do tend to chat amongst ourselves, but usually we end up having debates on the Water Regulations or on what the distinction between a pressure reducing valve and an RPZ valve is, so we are rarely far off-topic. In practical lessions, though we do have official break times, we are allowed to leave at will as we always come back. Most of us are on apprenticeships and are keen to qualify so as to get a higher wage once we have done so.

There are exceptions (in the year above mine), but I have never seen any serious horseplay on anything like the scale you describe above.

I must say I felt that this was what I expected (hoped) university would be like, though my experience at university (University of Kent at Canterbury) was somewhat different and I did feel people taking a strong interest in the course was more the exception than the rule, but I suppose that is what you get for trying to send 50% of people to university. Still, it no doubt reduces the unemployment statistics.

Wow. Sounds bad. I must be luckier than I thought at my college then. Before I enrolled on my course at Hyffoddiant Ceredigion Training, the first thing the head of plumbing did was sit me down and try to find out what I expected to get from plumbing - and what were my salary expectations. Once he was satisfied that I had a general interest, he managed to persuade me to study there.

Because the college is not trying to get people onto the course that aren't actually interested or for whom the course would not be suitable, there are only 5 of us in our year and the course faces an uncertain future in the long term. Ironic that a college that is actually acting in the interests of its students is seen as more of a failure than one that is happy to take on people that shouldn't be there at all.

If we are left to our own devices, we do tend to chat amongst ourselves, but usually we end up having debates on the Water Regulations or on what the distinction between a pressure reducing valve and an RPZ valve is, so we are rarely far off-topic. In practical lessions, though we do have official break times, we are allowed to leave at will as we always come back. Most of us are on apprenticeships and are keen to qualify so as to get a higher wage once we have done so.

There are exceptions (in the year above mine), but I have never seen any serious horseplay on anything like the scale you describe above.

I must say I felt that this was what I expected (hoped) university would be like, though my experience at university (University of Kent at Canterbury) was somewhat different and I did feel people taking a strong interest in the course was more the exception than the rule, but I suppose that is what you get for trying to send 50% of people to university. Still, it no doubt reduces the unemployment statistics.

There were about 30 students split into two classes and each had one tutor.
About 6 students had gone, jumped or pushed; there were other incidents but you get the idea.
A lot of the incidents in workshop happened when tutor was somewhere else teaching.

Also,
I did have a part time job night cleaning a sports centre where I worked harder than most of the migrant workers; and find it insulting when I hear British bosses say "British workers won't do dirty jobs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock