Discuss NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, I hope the shortage continues..
I went to 2 firms a while back around here that were looking for guys for all aspects of plumbing.
one offered me £8/hour and the other £10/hour.
cant work for that.

you fully qualified?

I wouldn't work for any less than £15 per hour, maybe £14 if books in and a van.

Not heard of anyone being paid any less around here(Glasgow)

£10 for a qualified plumber! I pay my labourers 9.50

i have just finished my 4 year apprenticeship having started it at just turned 16 and left school. wasnt 100% sure it was what i wanted to do, but manged to get a position with a good company and havent looked back since! definitely the best thing ive ever done! i find it really interesting but then do see other apprentices that cant be asked and like you say are just always on phones ect. I can see alot of these people doing just for something to do, but there are still a few like myself who are keen and passionate about the trade, cheers!
That was me (& I guess a few others on here) 35years ago, perhaps not with the distraction of a phone but there were other things :smile5:

Perhaps the difference back then was being a plumber carried a modicum of respect & it did required the apprenticeship to achieve that status.

Good luck Gb with your future career, if you are the best at what you do you tend to survive & prosper, one things for sure it will always keep your brain active which can't be said of the Aldi or the call centre brigade.

Last edited:
my mate who fits the rads is on holiday and I got a new guy for two weeks on the third day he says he,s going to work for a ground works firm as its more money ! and hes proably right

I wonna be a pilot... Wow... Or maybe not, it's a bloody long drop up there... :bat:

I wish I had not gone into pipe fitting / welding. I am from Yorkshire originally, now living in Essex, where my wife is from. Her family had such a better way of life than we did and my dad had a fantastic job, we never went without holiday Etc, but whilst i was 10 we were holidaying in France and they were out in there own Villa in Florida. He retired 20 years ago as a stockbrokers clerk on 70k a year. no qualifications, no A levels Etc, and his bonus was normally 80-100% of his salary.

I'm glad i have settled down here, my kids have a potential fantastic way of life and im 40 mins from the city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NO One wants to be a plumber?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock