Search the forum,

Discuss New flushing technique - in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

horseunderwater

POWDER Flush

I am having this done in morning for a 9 rad system all inc vat price of £450.
The company concerned is the only one to offer this stuff and it does not involve acidic cleaner, but something akin to scouring powder that thoroughly decloggs real heavy deposits. Which it seems that we have and it is supposed to be suitable for the microbore to the seriously industrial sized pipes as well. They guarantee to remove all of the cleaner and check water purity after refilling it all. Then the inhibitor is added for protection as normal.
I thought that I would post this up, simply because it might be something that would be useful to others on this forum.
I will update after the operation is done (hopefully well) tomorrow.
It is also supposed to be gentler and not cause leaks to appear, but we will see I guess on the morrow.

Job now completed. Novatus Ltd is the name of the company I used. Took from 8.38 until approx 1.44pm today to complete. Takes them approx an hour to set it up and they do each bit separately. Boiler got done first and I had well over 2 inches of black oxide retrieved onto the magnet collector all the way up the pole. Then each radiator is done one by one and the gunk is disposed of via the loo as that has a nice big waste pipe. It is fairly quiet procedure and my boiler is now on as it should be, all rad's on except the one with a broken TRV. That can be fixed in summer as that rad is on landing and not really needed. No leaks. So if anyone wants to have it done as the better option for de gunking their CH system of gunk, contact me and I will supply details. Definitely worth while. 9 rads cost £450 inc VAT. Oh and they also add the inhibitor to the system to prevent it happening again. Guaranteed for 2 years and you get a certificate, that is good enough for any heating insurer.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: New flushing technique -

powderflush hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sounds like a harry hill sketch. power flush or powder flush which is best................

Probably a bi box of fairy non bio !!!

sounds like a harry hill sketch. power flush or powder flush which is best................

Theres only 1 way to finddddd outttt...
!FIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Had this the other day powder flush is just part of a power flush,were abrasive powder grit is added, been used industrially for years,I would not use on a domestic system,can not see the need and there is no way they can guarantee all abrasive powder is removed from system after flush,you can imagine what damage it could do to the inside of a combi and other controls

imho

Im not a massive fan of any power flush. If you took a rad off, split it in half and scrubbed it with a brush and cleaner, it would still be black, so how would a pump remove it?

Not saying theyre pointless, they do clean a system, and when a magnetic filter is used aswell, its all we can actually do to clean a system, but i dont agree with the claims that they completely get rid of the black cack.

Sound like the printers had a spelling mistake, 50,000 leaflets in the bin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or POWDERFLUSH:bulb2:
grin.gif
clap.gif

£450, probably coke is it or a de-coke.lol.

yep sounds a bit of a mistake and how do you really no what anyone is doing i could go to a customer with a worcester take the badge off and tell them its a valliant or baxi and the majoraty wouldnt no

Not a case of unbelieving, but whats been done different to a power flush?

Not a case of unbelieving, but whats been done different to a power flush?
No acidic cleaner used, so safer for whole system as it did not cause any odd leaks. Chap also does the normal power flushes if you want, but he told me that the gunk just gets moved around and does not get taken out in as thorough a way. This you could see - that stuff being taken out in inches. I'm not joking either. 2 inches just from my boiler. Yesterday boiler lit up for 30 sec's - today it heats up for ages so that it actually works as it ought. No noise or gurgling (kettling?) The Air has been illiminated from the rad's. But we will monitor it for next few days. Powder is sent in to each item one at a time and removed. My house is getting seriously toasty now. In fact the boiler is so quiet, I have to go look to make sure it is on! LOL! Inhibitor added as we'd never had any he put in a double dose to help keep it all tickety boo.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm quite aware of power flushing as I do it myself, Ive got a magna-cleanse unit inline with my machine and I know what its capable of doing. Ive not had any leaks so far and in conjunction with my vibra-clean, the magnetic filter takes a lot out. What I was meaning is what has this company done that is different to power flushing? From what Ive read its basically power flushing using a powder as an abrasive instead of water flow and agitation. Would I be correct in assuming this?

What did they put down your loo??? illegal discharge springs to mind!!!!

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm quite aware of power flushing as I do it myself, Ive got a magna-cleanse unit inline with my machine and I know what its capable of doing. Ive not had any leaks so far and in conjunction with my vibra-clean, the magnetic filter takes a lot out. What I was meaning is what has this company done that is different to power flushing? From what Ive read its basically power flushing using a powder as an abrasive instead of water flow and agitation. Would I be correct in assuming this?

No acidic agititator chemical, just water and a scouring type powder that is run through each part of system separately. From what I could see, it got loads of gunk out and as my CH seems to be running as it should again and my house is now so warm, I am one happy bunny. The power flush association is recommending this instead of the normal type flush as it is gentler on the CH system, but gets more stuff out. Also meant to cope with micro bore pipe work as well as industrial size. I only have the 15mm pipes except those to boiler which are the 22mm ones.

Water and scourer with Iron oxide gunk. No acidic cleaner whatever. They have a licence stating that this stuff is Enviro friendly. So should not be problem.

id be more worried about what theyve left in the hall rad with the broken trv if i was powerflushing and one rad wouldnt flush id have to do something like replace the valve

Last edited:
The abrasive dissolves into the water and gets dumped out with the sludge. 100% is retrieved

I would steer well clear of it! firstly your adding more solids to the system to then have to remove them and secondly the souring effect can damage aluminium and brass components. Powder cleaning dosen't remove limescale effectively! Powerflush with a good pump and an acid based cleaner for the best and most thorough results :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New flushing technique - in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock