Search the forum,

Discuss New fittings onto old pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I've put some new 22mm ballofix valves onto some old pipework.

They tighten up to what would usually be enough, but if I get a spanner on the fitting, I can still rotate the fitting on the old pipe. I'm aware old pipe appears a touch smaller.

I've dressed the olives in V2 paste, but yet can't test for leaks as the water won't be on for a while.

Is this something others have come across?

Hmmm, interesting, guys.

I've added comp couplings to old pipe before and don't seem to remember any issues.

In the meanwhile, I'll get me some imperial olives in that case.

You could try tightening the olive onto the pipe , then removing the nut wrap the olive with ptfe then do up the fitting. Also the plumbers merchants will sell 3/4" olives

You could try tightening the olive onto the pipe , then removing the nut wrap the olive with ptfe then do up the fitting. Also the plumbers merchants will sell 3/4" olives

I've just rang a merchant (who closes about now) and he's talking to me about leadlock, says he doesn't have 3/4 olives. I've dressed the olives in V2, ptfe paste.

Use the PTFE to beef up the olive then put the paste on top. then re-assemble for a tight fit.

You're lucky having a merchant that's open on Sunday! All ours close 11-12 on Saturday.

Last edited:
Use the PTFE to beef up the olive then put the paste on top. then re-assemble for a tight fit.

You're lucky having a merchant that's open on Sunday! All ours close 11-12 on Saturday.

Not that lucky if the merchant doesn't know what 3/4 olives are!

Yeah in the past the ptfe paste has worked a treat and probably will this time too, but just hadn't noticed that with use of a tool (so not easily), the fitting could still rotate on the old pipe.

Safer to get the proper fittings, if it goes wrong you will be to blame for not using the correct olives, I always carry a few on the van they are easily obtainable from most good merchants gut if not try bes.

When I come across imperial pipe if I can't remove it I will adapt it if accessible. Heat the end to cherry red then flare it with a 22 mm expander. Slip in a piece of 22 mm solder then you can use standard fittings. Occasionally you will come across imperial copper from one of the periods of shortage. This can be very thin and so not the best candidate for flaring.

Hmmm, strange....

I've measured some of the old pipe I cut off and it's 22mm. To ensure I'm measuring properly I measured some old pipe too. Wonder if it's a bit slippery from the ptfe paste? Hmm.

The 22mm olives will crush in too much & the olive will tend to push on into the fitting & miss most of the taper on the brass fitting. Also the 22mm olive will very easily tighten not straight as it is slack.
A beefier 22mm olive - like a conex olive, can be okay if you slightly compress it in the fitting before you put it on the 3/4 pipe, until it is a tight fit for the 3/4 pipe & then compress it on the pipe.
Better just to use 3/4" olives! Old 3/4 olives sometimes can be reused again.

22mm x 3/4" soldered connectors are the top job to take you to 22mm pipe.

Last edited:
best to use 3/4 olive or end feed old to new. Always better peace of mind using the correct fitting imo.

if going from 3/4 to 22 then I'd use a soldered joint (like best says) or use a compression fitting with the correct olive - most merchants should be able to sort you out.

That ptfe paste is pretty good stuff for dressing olives actually. It's got rid of weeping joints for me in the past. It's quite useful stuff.

Use tape to bulk it up as to speak ! Hes told you to use tape as the paste will just be pushed out the joint ! Still allowing the joint to swival

YS1M fitting or do remember CU1M for the old boys. Translated: Yorkshire soldered capillary ring fitting 22mm to 3/4". End feed version OK too. 3/4" olives for compression ok ish as a minimum but still leaves the pipe slack in the fitting. Anything else would not consider.

Thats a funny old merchant if they have never heard of 3/4" olives they are a common item.

Thats a funny old merchant if they have never heard of 3/4" olives they are a common item.

From the sounds of it over the phone they probably didn't understand what I were asking for. The bloke who runs it knows what he's doing, shame I never got to speak to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what that edit is above or means, by the looks of it it appears to be entirely what I posted. :thinking2:hmmm, confused Hawk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New fittings onto old pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is very slightly out of shape. It leaked but I added some PFTE tape over the olive and it seems to of done the job. However… I’m tiling the wall and...
Replies
Views
Hi, my wife decided she wanted new modern bathtaps instead of the old 'supertaps' we've had since we bought the place. So we bought the new taps and I tried fitting them yesterday but the new taps don't have the same fitting length as the old ones, this wasn't aproblem on the hot supply as...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had to cut hot and cold feed to re route for bathroom feeds. The 22mm Copper pipe hot feed is slightly smaller then my 22mm Copper. Solder fittings just slip over it and are really loose so I gather this is old imperial pipe, so I shall use a 3/4 to 22mm coupler. However on the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock