Discuss Need advice if anyone's got time please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I've got to learn a bit about electrics.

My mates going to do this course

Thebtc.co.uk domestic installers course.

I want to be taught how to test & use a mayo meter properly.

I then want to hopefully do Part P.

If anyone has time to look on the site & have a read to advise me as to whether it's a way for me to go Id be forever grateful,

Thx

Rct

Looks ideal for plumbers & heating installers, but I thought the defined scope Part P self-certification had been done away with and now you need full scope to join a competent persons' scheme?

Looks ideal for plumbers & heating installers, but I thought the defined scope Part P self-certification had been done away with and now you need full scope to join a competent persons' scheme?

Thx Mas. This is the problem, I keep getting different stories from different providers. I don't wanna waste my money.

Just don't know.

There used to be a chap on here, Fuzzy, he used to advise etc. on courses but haven't seen him in long time.

Anyone else know for sure?

If you are going to do Part P, regardless of what anyone tells you, make sure you do the Full Scope. I have the defined and full scope but have no idea what they mean or represent:)

Wait there's a new amendment to the 17th edition about to be released. Wait till its in then do a course in the mean time learn to use your multi meter as you've suggested.

look on YouTube electrics for beginners and multimeter functions there's loads of pretty good videos teaching the basics and explaining ranges and functions

Thx gasman. I'm going to buy a new one.

Any suggestions as to what's decent for me please?

That's fine for voltage and continuity so confirming isolation or voltage to a terminal or a fuse hasn't blown but to carry out diagnostic checks the fluke 116 is aimed at hvac industry you can buy it on its own or as part of a kit including a clamp meter. But if you've been searching t150's I'd make sure your sitting down before searching the 116. It Cary's better ranges micro amps and mega ohms but also is auto ranging with true rms. it might take an extra second to stabilise and give you a reading but means your not selectin micro mini or mega just select your desired function point the probes and away you go

also a few people have suggested the hrpc own brand one as being good value for money, not seen it myself so cannot comment

Last edited:
Thx Mas. This is the problem, I keep getting different stories from different providers. I don't wanna waste my money.

Just don't know.

Having the same problem Jason - different information from different people!

What I've been told is this:

Defined scope Part P, you do the 17th Ed. exam and domestic wiring and testing. No 3-phase industrial or commercial stuff. You also don't do the additional tickets such as inspection and testing. This allows you to self-certify on a pre-defined scope of works, such as extending or moving an existing fused spur, light fitting etc.

Full scope includes all the above plus industrial/commercial & inspection and testing tickets.

I've been told that all the CPS have now stopped self-certification on a defined scope basis BUT I don't actually know if that is true! My first comment was more a question than a fact! :)

Have you been on the Baxi 3-day electrical and fault-finding course? Very useful indeed. Will teach you how to use a multimeter for fault finding as well as the basics like safe isolation, dead-testing etc.

I've been meaning to scan the course notes into .pdfs, I'll put them on my dropbox when I've done so, feel free to have a look.

full scope part p does not cover 3 phase commercial or industrial. Part p of the building regs only applies to domestic dwellings

defined scope will allow you to carry out minor works connected to your own trade eg installing an electric shower.

full scope part p does not cover 3 phase commercial or industrial. Part p of the building regs only applies to domestic dwellings

Quite true. Covers Domestic only, but gives you a free range. As I said before, if you have to do Part P, do the FULL SCOPE. Even if the Regs are about to change, the Full Scope will still cover you.

Part P and the regs (7671) are 2 different things really. You sit the wiring regs test separately from the rest of the course

It's all very confusing!! Can you register under the CPS if you only do the defined course? I def don't want any industrial or commercial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice if anyone's got time please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi, would be extremely grateful for any advice on the following. I'm installing a bathroom (shower, toilet and sink) in my summer house. It has...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock