Search the forum,

Discuss National Grid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to service a boiler today.
First tests I do is tightness/letby and then working pressure at meter and inlet on gas valve.
I was getting 10mbar at the meter working pressure. They only have the boiler, no other appliances in gas.
Boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 40CDi conventional.

Called transco as could have been a dodgy regulator. Or undersized pipework but I wanted to rule out the regulator first as standing pressure was only 21mb.

They attended when I wasn't there and changed the regulator but said nothing was wrong with the old. But they tested the meter/pressure when the boiler was in 'condensing mode' - you know when you restart the CDi's and it does the minimum rate thing for about 20 mins.

So he got a normal reading, as did I on minimum rate. But as soon as it got to max rate went straight to 9.5mb at the meter.

Turns out the run needs upping from 22 to 28 - apparently a guy did a new run which is about 9 meters with let's say 8 elbows in 22 and said everything was fine. They'd also left a 4m run of pipework completely unsupported practically hanging in mid air.

Question: do national grid have to know about boilers? Surely they'd know the boiler was in min rate mode and should have waited for max rate to kick in? Or do they rest the regulator differently?

Have turned off the boiler. Owner is gutted as they've just paid £30k having the kitchen tiled in cement tiles which is over the new gas run. Oops!

If your getting 9.5mb at the meter, not the boiler. There is a problem with the main supply.

No as all he was doing was purging the gas through while he was there anything from the meter not there problem

That's why if they find leaks on existing Pipework gets capped and cus gets a sheet saying you need s gas engy as you have a leak

but you need a min of at least 18 at the meter

Last edited:
No as all he was doing was purging the gas through while he was there anything from the meter not there problem

That's why if they find leaks on existing Pipework gets capped and cus gets a sheet saying you need s gas engy as you have a leak

but you need a min of at least 18 at the meter

Ahh ok..

Question:

How is it possible to be getting 10mb at meter working pressure, 8mb at inlet on gas valve working pressure but correct heat input and gas rate readings????

Yes mate.
If it's been fine until recently. It could be a faulty governor, or a problem with the main. Is there any gas work ( new main etc) being done locally?

No gas work being done. And transco put a new regulator on today. Boiler hasn't been checked in 2 years so not sure.

Ahh ok..

Question:

How is it possible to be getting 10mb at meter working pressure, 8mb at inlet on gas valve working pressure but correct heat input and gas rate readings????

I would say reg faulty as can't handle the demand but Pipework loss looks right just working pressure down

If meter working pressure below 18 grids problem

Get them out with you there

Last edited:
I would say reg faulty as can't handle the demand but Pipework loss looks right just working pressure down

If meter working pressure below 18 grids problem

Get them out with you there

Could undersized pipework cause a low working pressure at meter?

Ok. Might go back round now and call them out.

Yep and tell them you have already called them out

Just to check them pressures were at the meter ??

Also what's standing pressure at the meter ?

Standing was 22 or 23, 10mb working pressure with boiler on max rate

But they put a new one on today and I rechecked it, same thing

Didn't check on full load

And are you sure they changed the reg ?? Also could be some dirt has gotten into there line and blocked the new reg again

It's down to them so get them to sort it best for you to be there if pos, do your max while he's there

And are you sure they changed the reg ?? Also could be some dirt has gotten into there line and blocked the new reg again

It's down to them so get them to sort it best for you to be there if pos, do your max while he's there

On way back now

Def somethings wrong. 25.5mb standing
12mb working on max rate at meter

Ahh ok..

Question:

Because it forced combustion (fan driven). I wouldn't be too hasty with the loss across installation as 2mb from meter to gas valve test point is permitted (potential 1.5mb loss from appliance iso to gasvalve if I'm not mistaken). Almost certainly undersized service pipework probably been inserted with serviflex, they use 16mm most of the time and it's way too small. When you next bump into a NG engineer ask for an ecv test point. It allows you to take a working pressure before the regulator and proves beyond doubt what the issue is. Last time I spoke with the grid they said as far as they go is turning a tap on or turning on a room stat if not a combi, they dont put appliances in forced max rate. Hope this helps.

How you getting on jay ?

Because it forced combustion (fan driven). I wouldn't be too hasty with the loss across installation as 2mb from meter to gas valve test point is permitted (potential 1.5mb loss from appliance iso to gasvalve if I'm not mistaken). Almost certainly undersized service pipework probably been inserted with serviflex, they use 16mm most of the time and it's way too small. When you next bump into a NG engineer ask for an ecv test point. It allows you to take a working pressure before the regulator and proves beyond doubt what the issue is. Last time I spoke with the grid they said as far as they go is turning a tap on or turning on a room stat if not a combi, they dont put appliances in forced max rate. Hope this helps.

He didn't have any ecv test points :/ supply pipe is inch an quarter. He tested next door and they have no issues.

He said NG will not bother with low pressure calls unless pipework to appliances are correct. So will have to do a new 28mm run and retest, if same issue they'll have to sort the issue out themselves.

I'm surprised they put a 9m 22mm run to a 40kw boiler though

He didn't have any ecv test points :/ supply pipe is inch an quarter. He tested next door and they have no issues.

He said NG will not bother with low pressure calls unless pipework to appliances are correct. So will have to do a new 28mm run and retest, if same issue they'll have to sort the issue out themselves.

I'm surprised they put a 9m 22mm run to a 40kw boiler though

That's utter bollox telk them to sort there side out first working pressure of 10mbar and under isn't acceptable and doesn't matter what size output pipe is still be the same

How you getting on jay ?

NG said nothing they can do until the pipework to boiler is corrected. Service pipework is 1.25 inch. He put on a new meter and tested but same issue. Gotta do a 28mm run and retest. If same issue they'll then put in a low pressure callout.

Said that undersized pipework can sometimes cause a low working pressure at meter.

That is nonsense. Tell him your side is fine and they need to sort out the supply as they aren't given you the required pressure.

NG said nothing they can do until the pipework to boiler is corrected. Service pipework is 1.25 inch. He put on a new meter and tested but same issue. Gotta do a 28mm run and retest. If same issue they'll then put in a low pressure callout.

Said that undersized pipework can sometimes cause a low working pressure at meter.

one way to solve it wheres meter located?

Range rate the boiler down to 30kw and retest with him there, if pressure still low at the meter then pointless re-running the gas as the gas run you described should be ok for 30kw

Range rate the boiler down to 30kw and retest with him there, if pressure still low at the meter then pointless re-running the gas as the gas run you described should be ok for 30kw

In basement, below the boiler on ground floor

feck if it was outside / close to a door would open the bloody thing up (dont connect outpipe) if your still getting low op pressure with nothing connected for a second or two problem isnt your side

(which i dont think it is)

Cut in test point under boiler, 2 x gauges if it's 9 at test point and 10 at meter your pipes fine.
Have they done a mains upgrade and shoved plastic up the old service?
Discon flexi at ecv and let it blow maybe water in mains?

That's utter bollox telk them to sort there side out first working pressure of 10mbar and under isn't acceptable and doesn't matter what size output pipe is still be the same

So call them out again??? :/ thing is, he said NG won't put it forward as a low pressure callout if the pipework is undersized. Hate being the new boy sometimes, now I'm gonna loook like a right idiot to my customer :(

Cut in test point under boiler, 2 x gauges if it's 9 at test point and 10 at meter your pipes fine.
Have they done a mains upgrade and shoved plastic up the old service?
Discon flexi at ecv and let it blow maybe water in mains?

10mbar meter
8 mbar boiler

so not a million miles out

So call them out again??? :/ thing is, he said NG won't put it forward as a low pressure callout if the pipework is undersized. Hate being the new boy sometimes, now I'm gonna loook like a right idiot to my customer :(

give me tonight have a mate who works for national grid, will see what he says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to National Grid in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to replace, says National Gas chief Jonathan Leake14 January 2024 • 5:49pm Mr Butterworth, chief executive of National Gas, says the network is powered by...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need your advise as I'm really concerned here. I only just had regular boiler replaced with combi (Vaillant ecoFIT Pure 25kw). I had few surveys done and everyone stated the gas supply pipe from the meter to the boiler must be changed from current 15mm to 22mm. The plumber I used said...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock