Discuss Moving a Radiator from under window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gpbleach

Hi,

Looking for some advice to see If this job is possible?

Please see attached picture:

I am hoping to move the pictured radiator from under the window to the side wall so I can install a set of French windows.

I did not own the house when the extension was built, so have no idea where the pipes are located.

Would this be a straight forward job?

Thanks

Can't see a picture mate but anything is possible :)

i agree, anything is possible. do the pipes come up through the floor?

I thought it was one of those white rabbits in a snowstorm photo's.

As Meady says, anything is possible, if you chuck enough money at it.

As I always say, impossible, no problem, miracles, well they take a little longer.

Really need to see your photo.

Thanks, can not seem to upload the picture. I will have another go.

Yes, the pipes come up through a concrete floor

Hi,

Looking for some advice to see If this job is possible?

Please see attached picture:

I am hoping to move the pictured radiator from under the window to the side wall so I can install a set of French windows.

I did not own the house when the extension was built, so have no idea where the pipes are located.

Would this be a straight forward job?

Thanks

We are going to need at least the promised photo to recommend anything!
or a better description, solid floor, floorboards or is the pipe work run surface?

The floor is concrete and the pipes rise from underneath the floor

Attachments

• chessington.jpg
    chessington.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 20
  • rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 42
There may be a fair bit of disruption to that floor perhaps. First thing to try is look where the closest radiator to that one is to try and get a rough idea of where the pipes may run towards it. With the heating on you could try just running your hands gently across the tiles leading from the radiator to see if you can feel any transmitted heat from the pipes. Failing that then maybe try to get a hold of one of those pipe/stud detectors and try that way.
At a guess, the drain for the heating is possibly going out that same wall behind the radiator so you will probably have to dig up that first row of tiles anyway to make your alterations anyway.
Let us know how you get on.

I'd try tracing the pipes back to where they leave a hollow wooden floor if there are any going into the extension, and cap them off there if they are away from the new position or just run new pipes from there to the new place. saves floor destruction if you are on a budget.

If you want to trace the pipes try whats been suggested with a detector or if you want an exact position of pipework look to hire a thermal imaging camera they will show you exactly where your pipes are, but you will always have a bit of disruption when altering pipes in concrete but its simple enough,

Thanks.

I can not feel the heat through the floor, I can only guess the pipes are quite deep. So if the floor was to come up, the pipes could be channelled in the floor to the new location (which will be in place of the unit on the right) Any recommendations for a plumber in the Banbury area)

if you post up in the looking for a plumber section there may be someone from the forum who is near you and can come to give a quote.

Do you work at chessington world of adventure and just getting some advertising in when you can?

That wouldn't be a hard job to do for any plumber and wouldn't cost that much just to pay one either and not have the worry of your own joints under the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving a Radiator from under window in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, just moved a radiator from one wall to another, straight forward job, heating is working, problem is that on turning on a hot water tap...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hi ! Can anyone help with what I should set my storage radiator when I am away from mid December to early January please? I live in Bristol and...
Replies
Views
Not strictly a plumbing question, but to do with the bathroom layout - hopefully not too off-topic! Some pictures attached. What we have is this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock