Search the forum,

Discuss Modern cast iron decorative radiators advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyespy999

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Good afternoon all,

I have been to a victorian house that was converted about 18 months ago. A modern boiler and unvented HW system, and all of the house, stripped floorboards have been complemented with modern period cast iron rads.

Nicely looking however the house is like a fridge. Rads are hot and perfoming to temp, but the rooms will not warm up. Mainly radiated head but little or no convection unlike a traditional cheaper panel rad.

My question, is there a way of retro fitting a reflector to the rads to help with radiating heat or is it a rad upgrade to give the customer the room temps they need? I did a calculation using the plumb nation heating wizard and it looks like the rads are a few 000'btu out, but the rads look nice! I have suggested bigger and better rads but they wont be in keeping or asthetically pleasing... Thanks in advance

No and that's the problem with school rads need to be oversized and plumbed as close as possible with 22mm pipe

Have they got insulation in the property?

What type of windows do they have?

Victorian terrace, modern sash with double glazing. House either side. Even with my eyesight I can see the rads are not big enough to heat the room.

Shaun - without lifting the lovely wooden floor I cannot confirm what the flow and return pipe sizes are. My suggestion was new modern rads and to sell the school rads to pay for the upgrade.

Would you reccomend a surveyor to calculate the rad outputs, i am happy to fit them but dont want the same issue as not fitting man enough rads.

Victorian terrace, modern sash with double glazing. House either side. Even with my eyesight I can see the rads are not big enough to heat the room.

Shaun - without lifting the lovely wooden floor I cannot confirm what the flow and return pipe sizes are. My suggestion was new modern rads and to sell the school rads to pay for the upgrade.

Would you reccomend a surveyor to calculate the rad outputs, i am happy to fit them but dont want the same issue as not fitting man enough rads.

Heat loss the rooms and plus 10% should be fine if you want insurance take the windows as single glazed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Modern cast iron decorative radiators advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock