Discuss Mixing valve for underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still comes back to: what was the design flow temperature for the heat loss?

And how come your designer / installer isn't sorting all this for you?

Also

but I've turned the thermostat on acc tank to 70 so the underfloor will not start

The u'floor heating shouldn't be controlled by that, you really shouldn't be altering that on a regular basis, it should be set at it's design temperature.

What do you hope to achieve by altering it?

I'm trying to take as little heat out of the accumulator as possible.

Doesn't make sense.

Your house will take the energy it needs depending upon the heat losses, which is factored by the temperature in the rooms you are heating and the adjacent rooms and the outside air.

I know from your other post you've got problems with you heat source efficiency. However you need to consider all sorts of things, like if you turn the heating down in a room (set back) then it will take more energy to heat up. (it in the order of an additional 22W/m2)

Lets say your accumulator is at 70° and you let it drop to 40°, then a 30° drop on a 1000 ltr accumulator that's only 35kWh of heat storage, and if you're tapping off halfway up then that's even less energy stored. (volume AND temperature gradient)

To answer your original question though, from the photo it looks like a trv with a probe, with all those loops, it would better to swap that for a 3 port mixing valve with a thermostatic head.

(You'll need a bypass on the main circulation pump)

Don't see any flow gauges on the u'floor heating loops though so how have the flow rates been set up?

View attachment 18334

I've set the lowest setting on TRV (20 degrees) but supply temp on manifold thermometer is 35-40. Before I set it at 20 the supply temp was off the gauge and worried might damage screed. I could have anything from 40-85 degrees in bottom of tank

That's the purpose of the mixing valve, it should quite happily cope with a supply temperature of 85°, and blend it down to the DESIGN flow temperature.
If you've set the TRV to 20° then the rooms will never heat up and the u'floor heating will be pumping all day to no avail, you need a flow temperature greater than the room temperature, once again it comes back to: What is the design flow temeprature of the u'floor heating - go back to the original design documents and set the trv at that and let it do its job.

Also if you're having all these issues then:
1) it clearly wasn't fully commissioned in November
and
2) You really need to get the designer and installer back to properly commission and configure the whole system..

Or were you the designer, and the "plumber" is just doing what you told him to do?

- Note not all plumbers are heating engineers.... and as an aside we always leave the customer with a 'retainer' until we've finished, commissioned and certified ALL the work.

Worcester,

Again many thanks, I'm sure the guys will get it sorted, :21: the project was a self build, I designed the house but my input to the heating was limited to I want an accumulator tank, wood burning stove and solar panels.

This is in Northern or Southern Ireland I presume
The manifolds are not very good imho ok but I prefer I better method of controlling heat with a proper mixing valve

Why is solar on a laddomat valve where it's own pumping station
Joule are not the best solar tubes 40 tubes is same as about 25 kingspan thermomax

Air tightness 2 is not good

And it's a buffer vessel you've got. Not an accumulator.

Two entirely different things. You had me confused for a moment.

Why is your underfloor being fed from the bottom of the buffer tank ?

I presumed it was one of these :: AKVA SOLAR

So 'bottom' is a relative term - ie below the baffle, top used for DHW, though I may be wrong.

Aye, I was referring to the naming thing.

I accept the paddle of rebuke.....

Paddle-of-Rebuke.png

Yes, but it's the 'plus' version so it has two coils for the solar thermal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mixing valve for underfloor heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock