Search the forum,

Discuss mears calculator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

which mears central heating calculator is the best there is 3 - older houses / new houses and first generation accurate one is the one based on the first generation the best ? and can anyone rercommend a good on line calculator

thanks ant

Buy the one that's most comman to yourself

It depends on what your working on.

Lots of questions there. I used to use an old one from the 1980's but eventually lost it.

Since then I bought one (from someone on here) that's in KW (my old one was BTU). I don't like the new one as much as it's a bit more complicated. I'd have to spend a couple of evenings sitting down with it to suss it properly. I think it must be based on the first generation one, but as I say in KW. It's certainly different to use.

If you want the calculator just for heat loss calcs, then there are a lot of very good free online sites (or iphone apps so I'm told).

If you want to calculate flow rates, pipe sizes ect, then yes you really do need to buy a Mears.

city plumbing website has a great free rad size calculator. last time i check it was very close to my longhand cals which supprised me. my old mears was way out.

Out of curiosity , which way was error ?

oversized.

i was told a couple of years ago by a heating design engineer (35+ years experience)that when he tested his calculations against a mears he got oversized rads by about 10-30%. I think he said upstairs rads where always near 30% oversized.

in mears defence many engineers have outdated mears calculators. cant beat long hand cals if you have the time.

I used Stelrad "Stars", Mears and Myson. Tended to over size perhaps but at least you never got many "Its not hot enoughs". Eventually you tended to build up your own ideas of what to use. But its always handy to check yourself with one or the other of the programs. The Stelrad "Stars" is not for download now its on-line only.

Just registered with that Mears calculator. Looks quite good. Doubt I'll use it, but thought I'd take five minutes to get it sorted.

Oh while its in my head:

Honeywell have released a nifty little app for the iphone. Fault finding and wiring drawings and more.

Again, doubt I'll use it, but it took five minutes to put it on the phone, so why not!?

I've only taken a two minute look at it, and it looks well made. It's free, just download it from the app store.

Honeywell have released a nifty little app for the iphone. Fault finding and wiring drawings and more.

Again, doubt I'll use it, but it took five minutes to put it on the phone, so why not!?

I've only taken a two minute look at it, and it looks well made. It's free, just download it from the app store.

Very good that app. Very handy.
Good reference point for what honeywell sell as well.

Yeah, it looks well made. It's free, so anything that's free gets put on the iphone or work laptop. It's all just another tool at the end of the day. If it comes in handy once, then it's earned me money!

theres a radiator calc in the app store though i use my mears mostly. it naturaly adds on 10% as it ses in the book, but if there all trv/ stat controled shouldnt matter anyway. it gets you near thats all that matters. u values?? you can go on all day with the u values if you do it long hand, (which is good if you have a while to spend doing it) but youll end up there abouts in the end.

cheers for the honeywell heads up, never seen it in the app store. (how did that slip by ME haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to mears calculator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock