From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Managing staff your way in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,
Currently just me plumbing but looking to branch out
Just wondering how the employers and users of subs keep their workers working their best:
The pricework way - how do you avoid corner cutting and paying for time repairing cock ups.

On the clock workers paid for time - do you give workers an estimated time you expect it to be finished and how do you make sure they stick to it.

A mix of the two or something different?

By nature i am tempted to go on price as when i started on site i worked in a different trade and the company had 1 team that took 5-6 days to do the job while me and the other team on price did the same job in 2 1/2 - 3 days ( not cutting corners but sweat dripping off us , while they looked relaxed).

Plus any other tips on getting the best out of your workers appreciated . Thanks

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
i.e. pay them well and don’t “track” their movements/time too closely.

Nobody likes to feel they are being “kept an eye on”, trust your workers to do a good job and they will- providing they are good conscientious types, which you are more likely to attract if you pay well...

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
If it's just you, then surely the person(s) will be working along side you for a period of time.
You should be able to weed out the ones that don't suit you.

You may get into trouble if you're pricing works and then sub-contracting the works to others without any supervision

I have had staff before and paid decent money worked out at £25 per hour all min 10 years and nvq 3 yet all 3 hired i had to let go as they were not good enough and i gave simple jobs to break them in yet within 3 jobs i had to repair each ones work (so all i know is job centre may be free but didnt work for me).

Reply to Managing staff your way in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbing and Plumbers

Plumbing Workwear

Shower Power Booster

Plumbase Spares - Plumbing Supplies and Spare Parts

Water Underfloor Heating

CORGI Direct for Plumbers

The Wetroom Store

Plumbase Spares