Discuss Mains water pressure test. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!
Silly question I'm sure but voices in head sowing seeds of doubt so apologies if a dumb waste of your time. However, I need to check the mains water pressure before installing a RO Unit. Need to know if need a booster or not. So, do I just buy a mains water pressure gauge (seen one on Toolstation for about a tenner) and then screw on to the outside tap? Then just turn the tap on and watch the gauge? Run for how long? Obviously the tap should either have a check valve built in or one should be on the pipe run. Tap is a pretty old tap so would imagine it doesn't have built it. Will move washing machine to check pipe run. I'm guessing if I can't see one then I shouldn't use the gauge outherwise back flow could do some damage, maybe to the combi??? Not to mention probably breaking water regs? Any advice would be greatly received as am fairly fresh to all this. Many thanks and loving the forum. Pete.

On a RO filter it works on pressure on the membrane etc ! But with poor water pressure it will just be slower to make up the pure water ! So hence peaving it running longer ! So i say fit is and see what its like making water ! Alot of people do then they judge from that if they would like a pump or not ! The double check valves in garden taps dont last long anyway even if it did have one ! But i dont think u require one on a RO FILTER ! its just a washing machine connector.

just buy a pressure test kit as you said and stick on cold main see what bar you get , are you a plumber ???

Thanks for replies guys.

Hammers4spanner - I've just completed my level2 tech cert and working towards level3. Also looking to work with someone to gain NVQ, but in the meantime trying to do little bits for friends and family to try and gain experience/ practice. So, to answer your question, no not a plumber as such as I'm aware the tech cert is far from calling myself a plumber!....but hopefully one day!?

As for the checking of water pressure, was just thinking about testing it before installing so if it took an age to run the RO unit I could use the test as an aid to troubleshooting. Also to gain some practice for any future plumbing issues. Not to mention another excuse to buy another tool!? Was just concerned as to whether I had the right idea about connecting to outside tap and turning on. For how long?? Just also thinking 'what could go wrong if I do this??'. Obviously you experienced guys don't always need to do that? Sorry if seen as wasting anybody's time or if I shouldn't be posting such rubbish! Pete.

No such thing as a daft question pete. I should know. I ask plenty :)

the test will only tell you the standing pressure.
you would need to open another cold tap in the house, that would be the working pressure.

Make sure you put valves on it so it can be isolated to change filters etc ! How many stages is the ro filter ?

Be suspicious if pressure does not drop a little when open a tap elsewhere , as the imfamous check valve may prevent flow so you dont' see new lower pressure at measuring point

Thank you for askin this question - no such thing as a dumb ask - I have learned from
your question and the fine answers posted back. PFUK SANTA :santa3:

centralheatking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mains water pressure test. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Gas combi Boiler Mains fed in all taps and shower How do I balance the water pressure in all faucets in my flat. Every tap/water...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock