Discuss Low water pressure from new taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevesuzuki

Hi all,
I am sure that this has been done to death on here but will try and keep it brief, and if I have posted this in the wrong section I do appologise.

I had the single tap system on my bath and decided to change it for a mixer/shower tap. I brought the basin taps as part of the package so as they would all match. Being a printer I was not aware things like water pressure etc as the old taps worked fine why should the new mixer taps not work? Well I got the taps installed and flexi hoses were used and these taps have the " new " disc technology apparently which means only a 1/4 of a turn is needed.

The taps and shower attachment look great but the only snag is the water coming out is about 60% slower than it was. It matters not whether I have just the hot water coming out or the cold water, it is still slow and takes around 30 minutes to fill a bath if not a bit longer. I have a three bed roomed house where the bath room is on the ground level and the cold water tank is in the loft and the hot water tank is in my bedroom which is on the second floor. I contacted the company I brought them from and they stated that I have brought the wrong taps as these are not for a gravity fed system, but no mention of that on the listing description from where I brought them. :banghead:

I obviously have spent a good sum of money and now they are saying I should have brought so and so mixer taps, but will also have to buy new basin taps which is going to cost me an additional £150 plus fitting. The person that fitted them states he has never had this happen before and wonders if changing the valves in these new taps will do the trick as a cheaper solution. No way is it worth getting a pump installed. So is there anyway of increasing the flow rate without getting new taps, or have I made a serious mistake?

I would really appreciate a bit of much needed advice on this, as it has already cost me a lot of money and it seems all to no avail.Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hi steve,

Unfortunately it looks like you have bought taps for a relatively high pressure system when yours is low pressure. I would advise that you don't spend more money on new valves as they wont make a blind bit of difference.

If you paid a plumber to fit them he should have checked the spec. to ensure they were compatible with your system provided the information was to hand. You would probably have got a refund as long as they hadn't been fitted.

I think the only solution is new taps I'm afraid.

welcome to the forum ,

I will sugest you invest in to a booster pump and keep taps as unlikely you will get your money back . So get plumber back to fit booster pump and enjoy high flow of water with the new shine taps ! Also if you live in hard water area to keep bathroom free from limescale ask your plumber to about water softener

welcome to the forum ,

I will sugest you invest in to a booster pump and keep taps as unlikely you will get your money back . So get plumber back to fit booster pump and enjoy high flow of water with the new shine taps ! Also if you live in hard water area to keep bathroom free from limescale ask your plumber to about water softener

Many thanks.

A booster pump? Are they expensive and / or easy to fit?

there is variety of pumps on the market to make everyone happy ! However the good ones are not cheap . ask your plumber to give you a price to fit one

Hmmmmm. If you paid somebody to fit them then they should have checked suitability. Any competent plumber would not fit taps that were not fit for purpose. imho.

Hmmmmm. If you paid somebody to fit them then they should have checked suitability. Any competent plumber would not fit taps that were not fit for purpose. imho.

Yes I understand that. I paid a person who is usually very good at these kinds of things.In his defense though it was me who brought the taps and he naturally presumed I had brought the right ones.

Live and learn eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low water pressure from new taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi All, I have replaced my existing Shaw and Mason chrome set with the Shaw and Mason forward bowl spindles/ Handles. I have kept the same tap or...
Replies
Views
PRJSyd
P
Hi All, I replaced my existing washbasin bowl set with new Shaw and Mason forward bowl set spindles and chrome handles. The water pressure has...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’ve been doing my first refurbishment is a two bed flat with a bathroom and ensuite . Learnt a lot and been grateful for input’s...
Replies
Views
Hi, I hope someone can help. I’m hoping this isn’t a permanent problem. We’ve converted a gravity vented hot water system, into an unvented...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock