Discuss Low/ No Gas pressure...please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sara275

hi

i hope someone can help here...

We have built a 2nd storey extension (like a large size loft conversion) and have installed a second boiler to supply about 7 radiators and hot water. We are at the stage where we have connected it all to the gas supply but unfortunately there is not enough/ almost zero pressure being delivered to he second floor and the boiler is simply not starting. The pressure falls all the way down to almost zero when the boiler tries to start. The current supply to which we are connecting is already supplying ground and first floor (about 10 radiators and hot water).

We are stuck and looking at options, do we/ can we:

1. tap into the gas source (before the meter) and (as has been recommended by a private contractor) "T Off" another supply pipe for the second floor? can we get into trouble doing it privately?

2. or do i need to get in ouch with the supplier to get it resolved..?

Would gratefully appreciate your help. i don't have too much faith in the boiler fitter so turning to experts here.

thanks so much

Aaliya

What size gas pipe work do you have running to the boiler and how far does it run?

Hi Aaliya

Don't work illegally or employ personnel who are willing to work illegally.

Contact your gas transporter for any work carried out 'up stream' of the meter.

Sounds like you either need to upgrade the size of your pipework, get a bigger meter so it can pass more gas or have a new supply installed for the conversion so you have two meters.

For a larger meter you need to speak to your gas supplier and for a new supply you'll have to contact the gas distributor (if you don't know who it is then just call your supplier).

To t off the pipe before the meter is illegal!

thanks for the reply guys:

@applumbing - from what i know (approximately) its 28mm going from the meter going up about 4 meter and then across another about 5 meter. It then reduces to 22mm to enter the property to travel into the boiler about 4 meter away.

@galaxy_plumbing - a contractor who works for one of the gas companies (dunno which) has said that he can tap into source (before primary meter) and tee off to get more pressure but i suspect this is not 100% legit?

thanks again

Who installed the boiler?, who installed the gas pipe to the new boiler?

From what you have said in your post it is somebody who shouldn't have.

Thanks so much for this reply, it sounds so logical. My only question is if i opt for a bigger meter, will there be any need to mess with pipework/ digging etc? i am dreading the thought of digging pipework to match new bigger meter. i am hoping this option is available without digging.

The other option of new pipes obviously means digging..

thanks

Sounds like you either need to upgrade the size of your pipework, get a bigger meter so it can pass more gas or have a new supply installed for the conversion so you have two meters.

For a larger meter you need to speak to your gas supplier and for a new supply you'll have to contact the gas distributor (if you don't know who it is then just call your supplier).

To t off the pipe before the meter is illegal!

illegal gas/boiler installation??? :(

contact a local Gas Safe registered engineer. We are professionals on this site and wont give you advise on ilegal gas work im afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low/ No Gas pressure...please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock