Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just had a new combi boiler and TRV's with drain off valves fitted about 2 months ago. Most if not all the valves are now leaking from the nut that fastens to the flow pipes. Some have got green slime that looks a bit like fairy liquid thats leaked down the pipe. The plumber 'gas safe' seemed like a total cowboy - not sure how these guys manage to get gas safe accreditation. Just to give you a few examples, he left sockets removed from old system un-isolated, tried to wire up the boiler without switching off electricity supply whilst standing in a puddle of water!

I just want some advice before I call out this whack as to how he should go about fixing it. I doubt he has a freezer kit which means he will need to drain entire system off. Should I let him get away by him trying to simply nip tight each nut, should i get him to drain system, remove all nuts and apply ptf tape or should i get him to replace all valves (is this normal that a new system has almost all valves leaking)

Any advise would be useful as I dont want to get ripped off by this guy again.

Morning Adam and welcome to the forum, it really depends on how tight the nuts are as over tightening can cause problems in itself but a little nip up could be the answer, I would like to think the guy has used a jointing compound on the olives but if not then a drain down to add would be a good idea.

As for PTFE my advice is its not really for olives it's for threaded fittings so leave alone.

Morning Adam and welcome to the forum, it really depends on how tight the nuts are as over tightening can cause problems in itself but a little nip up could be the answer, I would like to think the guy has used a jointing compound on the olives but if not then a drain down to add would be a good idea.

As for PTFE my advice is its not really for olives it's for threaded fittings so leave alone.

I've just rang the plumber up and now he's refusing to return to fix the valves. Do I have any recourse under contract law?

I've just rang the plumber up and now he's refusing to return to fix the valves. Do I have any recourse under contract law?

did he say why? and boss white should do the trick if not damaged too much

Last edited:
He making excuses that work was done all fine and that he's under no obligation to come and fix as its been two months and that I should have checked and notified him before I paid him!

He making excuses that work was done all fine and that he's under no obligation to come and fix as its been two months and that I should have checked and notified him before I paid him!

if he changed the valve his work should be guaranteed for a year doesnt matter if hes been paid or not

I don't know the full story but if it was a job I had carried out I would want to come back and rectify as soon as possible!

Have you removed the rads to decorate and then replaced?

Is that contract law?

have a word with trading standards and see where you stand if he wont come back, but before you do phone him up and tell him if he wont come out to sort it your going to talk to trading standards, might g him up a bit :)

I don't know the full story but if it was a job I had carried out I would want to come back and rectify as soon as possible!

Have you removed the rads to decorate and then replaced?

Its shame there are so many rogue tradesmen these days that take no pride in their work and tarnish the reputation of genuine tradesmen like yourself.

The rads weren't removed. They are old rads, only the valves were replaced with TRVs and drainoffs.

I phoned him up and he advised me to put my grievance in email. He responded back advising me that he no longer wanted any further contact with me and has blocked my number - I'm supposedly the first customer in his 20 year history as a plumber to have been blocked and my claims of his shoddy workmanship are baseless!

Any way I've already replied back and advised him that should he fail to return and fix I'll have to take him to trading standards. I've advised him I'd prefer to sort it out amicably rather than being forced down the trading standards route. I'll wait and see if he bothers to respond.

I phoned him up and he advised me to put my grievance in email. He responded back advising me that he no longer wanted any further contact with me and has blocked my number - I'm supposedly the first customer in his 20 year history as a plumber to have been blocked and my claims of his shoddy workmanship are baseless!

Any way I've already replied back and advised him that should he fail to return and fix I'll have to take him to trading standards. I've advised him I'd prefer to sort it out amicably rather than being forced down the trading standards route. I'll wait and see if he bothers to respond.

how long before they started leaking?

Although I do believe that you do have a genuine cause for complaint I think you might have to write this guy off as a bad job. It'll be cheaper to get someone else in rather than chase him down through the legal system. Plus all the while that's going on you've still got a leak.

Take photographs now, and make sure you've got a paper trail. That way you could attempt to get him retrospectively. Whomever you get in, make sure they are gsr and get them to give the whole installation a once over.

Or you could call gas safe themselves and request a free inspection. If the guy was as shoddy as you say there would be other issues you may not be necessarily aware of. That will only bolster your case.

Can you bang up some pictures on here? The leaking valves, the boiler and any other items of concern.

I onlty noticed it at the weekend as I've been away for a month after the system was fitted and haven't really used it much.

Last edited:
Although I do believe that you do have a genuine cause for complaint I think you might have to write this guy off as a bad job. It'll be cheaper to get someone else in rather than chase him down through the legal system. Plus all the while that's going on you've still got a leak.

Take photographs now, and make sure you've got a paper trail. That way you could attempt to get him retrospectively. Whomever you get in, make sure they are gsr and get them to give the whole installation a once over.

Or you could call gas safe themselves and request a free inspection. If the guy was as shoddy as you say there would be other issues you may not be necessarily aware of. That will only bolster your case.

Can you bang up some pictures on here? The leaking valves, the boiler and any other items of concern.

I'll try and get some pictures up. My other concern is the plumber went down under the subfloor void to fit a new gas line and as he went under he kicked a lot of the pipes that feed the radiators. The pipes which run under the void arnt fixed to any joist, they appear to be layed without any fixing running in same direction as joist (probably another cowboy fitted these long time ago). The void is about 2 ft. How can I be sure there isnt a slow/small leak on these pipes? I have a water meter and I've checked that overnight to see if it changed and so far seems ok. But I suppose my question is of my limited knowledge of how central heating works is that it simply circulates the same water i.e. its not exactly using it as you would when say you flush the toilet. So would a leak be noticebale on these pipes via a water meter?

Any other way to ensure there isn't a leak without having to rip up all laminate and floor boards?

The OP's reference to being ripped off, seems to indicate a break down of respect, even before the leaks were apparent.
In these circumstances no remedy will suffice.

Also coukd the weeping valves be due to change in pressure. The new install was a conversion from a conventional boiler fed from a copper tank in the loft to a combi boiler?

the leaks are under the boiler fm my understanding and just need tightening a bit, had it myself, just popped back and did it, all part of the service. Another reason for not going in cheap and getting stung later.

the leaks are under the boiler fm my understanding and just need tightening a bit, had it myself, just popped back and did it, all part of the service. Another reason for not going in cheap and getting stung later.

the leaks are on the radiator valves not under the boiler.

as before can you post some pics plz

kitchen1.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

hallway.jpg

bedroom1.jpg

20150720_181446.jpg

20150720_181136.jpg

20150720_181944.jpg

20150720_181805.jpg

just need nipping up or a bit of plumbers paste on the olives and nipping up. Not the tidiest of jobs, but depends on what you paid if you think its poor value for money. If all that went in in a day then in my opinion, you get what you pay for! be interesting to know what that cost you and how long it took to sling in

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost was £2000 (parts included) took him two days - him and his son. For the most part he left his son to do most of the work (some 20 year old ameature). Himself, he was probably only around for about 1 day at the most. It wasn't exactly a mammoth task. It was a straight forward swap. Took him several attempts to even get the flue fitted properly. For someone supposedly having been in the trade for 20 years he should have been able to measure up and fit with minimal attempts.

Cost was £2000 (parts included) took him two days - him and his son. For the most part he left his son to do most of the work (some 20 year old ameature). Himself, he was probably only around for about 1 day at the most. It wasn't exactly a mammoth task. It was a straight forward swap. Took him several attempts to even get the flue fitted properly. For someone supposedly having been in the trade for 20 years he should have been able to measure up and fit with minimal attempts.

i take offense at that remark how do you know he's ameature (flue) its not as easy as that when you need to cut, you have the inner flue to think about as well, ive screwed up a couple by cutting them 3-5mm too short and had to replace them

Last edited:
Those rad valves seem to be leaking both from the nut on the copper pipe and the larger tail nut. You shouldn't have leaks there at all. The joints need redone using paste. Get them back.

work standard seems alittle poor, condense pipework not correct.

id get somebody in to fix the leaks and forget the installer, you are not going to get anywhere chasing him.

anyone else seen that speedfit fitting by the magnaclean???? and the red lock nut on the magnaclean is not wound out.

Last edited:
work standard seems alittle poor, condense pipework not correct.

id get somebody in to fix the leaks and forget the installer, you are not going to get anywhere chasing him.

anyone else seen that speedfit fitting by the magnaclean???? and the red lock nut on the magnaclean is not wound out.

What wrong with the condensate pipe work? He said it was perfectly acceptable to feed it into the washing machine waste pipe instead of drilling another hole into the wall?

Whats wrong with the speedfit by the magna clean?

What wrong with the condensate pipe work? He said it was perfectly acceptable to feed it into the washing machine waste pipe instead of drilling another hole into the wall?

Whats wrong with the speedfit by the magna clean?

I don't know if I'm right but is magnaclean in wrong place, if there's a tee below it it is but I can't make it out , I might be wrong,,, I think his pipework on the boiler is a disgrace Andrew, this guy obviously doesn't take pride in his work and it's a pitty as you have to look at that mess everyday,

Has he utilised the old hole off the old boiler flue ???
Can be a problem putting new rad valves on old pipework as i bet the nut and olive are original and the valve body new.

Has he utilised the old hole off the old boiler flue ???
Can be a problem putting new rad valves on old pipework as i bet the nut and olive are original and the valve body new.

He drilled a new hole for the flue. The nuts look new to me. I still dont kniw what the issue is with the condensate pipe and speedfit that Awheating has mentioned above. Can someone care to elaborate???

To ensure others don't fall for this rogue here's his Gas Safe Registered Number: ******

To other potential customers my advice is avoid him like the plague!

To ensure others don't fall for this rogue here's his Gas Safe Registered Number: ******

To other potential customers my advice is avoid him like the plague!

you've really got it in for this guy haven't you!

Sorry Adam. Can't allow you to post up the guys details like that.

You may have a genuine grievance but given the bad press you've given him he could go after us.

We can't have that happen.

Why has his gas safe registration been blanked out - its not as if its confidential information since its freely available on the gas safe website? You should have a name and shame section on here which would encourage more tradesmen to take pride in their work and assist potential customers from being ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock