Discuss Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just had a new combi boiler and TRV's with drain off valves fitted about 2 months ago. Most if not all the valves are now leaking from the nut that fastens to the flow pipes. Some have got green slime that looks a bit like fairy liquid thats leaked down the pipe. The plumber 'gas safe' seemed like a total cowboy - not sure how these guys manage to get gas safe accreditation. Just to give you a few examples, he left sockets removed from old system un-isolated, tried to wire up the boiler without switching off electricity supply whilst standing in a puddle of water!

I just want some advice before I call out this whack as to how he should go about fixing it. I doubt he has a freezer kit which means he will need to drain entire system off. Should I let him get away by him trying to simply nip tight each nut, should i get him to drain system, remove all nuts and apply ptf tape or should i get him to replace all valves (is this normal that a new system has almost all valves leaking)

Any advise would be useful as I dont want to get ripped off by this guy again.

Has he utilised the old hole off the old boiler flue ???
Can be a problem putting new rad valves on old pipework as i bet the nut and olive are original and the valve body new.

He drilled a new hole for the flue. The nuts look new to me. I still dont kniw what the issue is with the condensate pipe and speedfit that Awheating has mentioned above. Can someone care to elaborate???

To ensure others don't fall for this rogue here's his Gas Safe Registered Number: ******

To other potential customers my advice is avoid him like the plague!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Adam. Can't allow you to post up the guys details like that.

You may have a genuine grievance but given the bad press you've given him he could go after us.

We can't have that happen.

Why has his gas safe registration been blanked out - its not as if its confidential information since its freely available on the gas safe website? You should have a name and shame section on here which would encourage more tradesmen to take pride in their work and assist potential customers from being ripped off.

Why has his gas safe registration been blanked out - its not as if its confidential information since its freely available on the gas safe website? You should have a name and shame section on here which would encourage more tradesmen to take pride in their work and assist potential customers from being ripped off.

Giving out his Gas Safe number is just the same as giving out his name.
You can personally speak out against him if you can prove what you say, but putting it on any media risks that forum, or whatever, from being sued.

I have proved what I've said with photographic evidence.

All you have proved is that the photographs show bad work. Think of it this way, - For all anyone knows you could be blaming or framing the wrong person or there is more to the story.
Now I know that is ridiculous, but always two sides, - and if it went to court no outsider really knows the full details and therefore cannot be too involved other than basic advice. If you rang your local radio station they would also say you can't use the plumbers name.
You are better to get a qualified expert on gas to do a report if you want to take the guy as far as possible.

I have proved what I've said with photographic evidence.

Photos or not. It could be construed as slander. We're not going down that path.

And I'm afraid you'll find my word is final on that particular matter.

the condense pipe should connect after the trap.

the speedfit fitting looks like hes bodged the magnaclean on after cutting the pipework to short.

Just had another gas engineer in to inspect the work. Seems like he's fitted the magna clean to the wrong pipe and the flue is at a slight angle which could cause rain water to ingress!

I'm guessing the trap is built into the boiler like most others!?
I'm sure manufacturers stipulate not putting additional traps in the pipe work after the one in the boiler so if connected to internal waste pipe work serving other basin's sinks or appliances it should do so after any other trap on the waste pipe work not sure why. I think it is intended for running traps that might prevent the syphon action of the trap in the boiler from working properly.

Just had another gas engineer in to inspect the work. Seems like he's fitted the magna clean to the wrong pipe and the flue is at a slight angle which could cause rain water to ingress!
As long as the angle is slight then that is as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back