Discuss Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just had a new combi boiler and TRV's with drain off valves fitted about 2 months ago. Most if not all the valves are now leaking from the nut that fastens to the flow pipes. Some have got green slime that looks a bit like fairy liquid thats leaked down the pipe. The plumber 'gas safe' seemed like a total cowboy - not sure how these guys manage to get gas safe accreditation. Just to give you a few examples, he left sockets removed from old system un-isolated, tried to wire up the boiler without switching off electricity supply whilst standing in a puddle of water!

I just want some advice before I call out this whack as to how he should go about fixing it. I doubt he has a freezer kit which means he will need to drain entire system off. Should I let him get away by him trying to simply nip tight each nut, should i get him to drain system, remove all nuts and apply ptf tape or should i get him to replace all valves (is this normal that a new system has almost all valves leaking)

Any advise would be useful as I dont want to get ripped off by this guy again.

The OP's reference to being ripped off, seems to indicate a break down of respect, even before the leaks were apparent.
In these circumstances no remedy will suffice.

Also coukd the weeping valves be due to change in pressure. The new install was a conversion from a conventional boiler fed from a copper tank in the loft to a combi boiler?

the leaks are under the boiler fm my understanding and just need tightening a bit, had it myself, just popped back and did it, all part of the service. Another reason for not going in cheap and getting stung later.

as before can you post some pics plz

kitchen1.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

hallway.jpg

bedroom1.jpg

20150720_181446.jpg

20150720_181136.jpg

20150720_181944.jpg

20150720_181805.jpg

just need nipping up or a bit of plumbers paste on the olives and nipping up. Not the tidiest of jobs, but depends on what you paid if you think its poor value for money. If all that went in in a day then in my opinion, you get what you pay for! be interesting to know what that cost you and how long it took to sling in

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost was £2000 (parts included) took him two days - him and his son. For the most part he left his son to do most of the work (some 20 year old ameature). Himself, he was probably only around for about 1 day at the most. It wasn't exactly a mammoth task. It was a straight forward swap. Took him several attempts to even get the flue fitted properly. For someone supposedly having been in the trade for 20 years he should have been able to measure up and fit with minimal attempts.

Cost was £2000 (parts included) took him two days - him and his son. For the most part he left his son to do most of the work (some 20 year old ameature). Himself, he was probably only around for about 1 day at the most. It wasn't exactly a mammoth task. It was a straight forward swap. Took him several attempts to even get the flue fitted properly. For someone supposedly having been in the trade for 20 years he should have been able to measure up and fit with minimal attempts.

i take offense at that remark how do you know he's ameature (flue) its not as easy as that when you need to cut, you have the inner flue to think about as well, ive screwed up a couple by cutting them 3-5mm too short and had to replace them

Last edited:
Those rad valves seem to be leaking both from the nut on the copper pipe and the larger tail nut. You shouldn't have leaks there at all. The joints need redone using paste. Get them back.

work standard seems alittle poor, condense pipework not correct.

id get somebody in to fix the leaks and forget the installer, you are not going to get anywhere chasing him.

anyone else seen that speedfit fitting by the magnaclean???? and the red lock nut on the magnaclean is not wound out.

Last edited:
work standard seems alittle poor, condense pipework not correct.

id get somebody in to fix the leaks and forget the installer, you are not going to get anywhere chasing him.

anyone else seen that speedfit fitting by the magnaclean???? and the red lock nut on the magnaclean is not wound out.

What wrong with the condensate pipe work? He said it was perfectly acceptable to feed it into the washing machine waste pipe instead of drilling another hole into the wall?

Whats wrong with the speedfit by the magna clean?

What wrong with the condensate pipe work? He said it was perfectly acceptable to feed it into the washing machine waste pipe instead of drilling another hole into the wall?

Whats wrong with the speedfit by the magna clean?

I don't know if I'm right but is magnaclean in wrong place, if there's a tee below it it is but I can't make it out , I might be wrong,,, I think his pipework on the boiler is a disgrace Andrew, this guy obviously doesn't take pride in his work and it's a pitty as you have to look at that mess everyday,

Has he utilised the old hole off the old boiler flue ???
Can be a problem putting new rad valves on old pipework as i bet the nut and olive are original and the valve body new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back