Discuss Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just had a new combi boiler and TRV's with drain off valves fitted about 2 months ago. Most if not all the valves are now leaking from the nut that fastens to the flow pipes. Some have got green slime that looks a bit like fairy liquid thats leaked down the pipe. The plumber 'gas safe' seemed like a total cowboy - not sure how these guys manage to get gas safe accreditation. Just to give you a few examples, he left sockets removed from old system un-isolated, tried to wire up the boiler without switching off electricity supply whilst standing in a puddle of water!

I just want some advice before I call out this whack as to how he should go about fixing it. I doubt he has a freezer kit which means he will need to drain entire system off. Should I let him get away by him trying to simply nip tight each nut, should i get him to drain system, remove all nuts and apply ptf tape or should i get him to replace all valves (is this normal that a new system has almost all valves leaking)

Any advise would be useful as I dont want to get ripped off by this guy again.

Morning Adam and welcome to the forum, it really depends on how tight the nuts are as over tightening can cause problems in itself but a little nip up could be the answer, I would like to think the guy has used a jointing compound on the olives but if not then a drain down to add would be a good idea.

As for PTFE my advice is its not really for olives it's for threaded fittings so leave alone.

Morning Adam and welcome to the forum, it really depends on how tight the nuts are as over tightening can cause problems in itself but a little nip up could be the answer, I would like to think the guy has used a jointing compound on the olives but if not then a drain down to add would be a good idea.

As for PTFE my advice is its not really for olives it's for threaded fittings so leave alone.

I've just rang the plumber up and now he's refusing to return to fix the valves. Do I have any recourse under contract law?

I've just rang the plumber up and now he's refusing to return to fix the valves. Do I have any recourse under contract law?

did he say why? and boss white should do the trick if not damaged too much

Last edited:
He making excuses that work was done all fine and that he's under no obligation to come and fix as its been two months and that I should have checked and notified him before I paid him!

He making excuses that work was done all fine and that he's under no obligation to come and fix as its been two months and that I should have checked and notified him before I paid him!

if he changed the valve his work should be guaranteed for a year doesnt matter if hes been paid or not

I don't know the full story but if it was a job I had carried out I would want to come back and rectify as soon as possible!

Have you removed the rads to decorate and then replaced?

Is that contract law?

have a word with trading standards and see where you stand if he wont come back, but before you do phone him up and tell him if he wont come out to sort it your going to talk to trading standards, might g him up a bit :)

I don't know the full story but if it was a job I had carried out I would want to come back and rectify as soon as possible!

Have you removed the rads to decorate and then replaced?

Its shame there are so many rogue tradesmen these days that take no pride in their work and tarnish the reputation of genuine tradesmen like yourself.

The rads weren't removed. They are old rads, only the valves were replaced with TRVs and drainoffs.

I phoned him up and he advised me to put my grievance in email. He responded back advising me that he no longer wanted any further contact with me and has blocked my number - I'm supposedly the first customer in his 20 year history as a plumber to have been blocked and my claims of his shoddy workmanship are baseless!

Any way I've already replied back and advised him that should he fail to return and fix I'll have to take him to trading standards. I've advised him I'd prefer to sort it out amicably rather than being forced down the trading standards route. I'll wait and see if he bothers to respond.

I phoned him up and he advised me to put my grievance in email. He responded back advising me that he no longer wanted any further contact with me and has blocked my number - I'm supposedly the first customer in his 20 year history as a plumber to have been blocked and my claims of his shoddy workmanship are baseless!

Any way I've already replied back and advised him that should he fail to return and fix I'll have to take him to trading standards. I've advised him I'd prefer to sort it out amicably rather than being forced down the trading standards route. I'll wait and see if he bothers to respond.

how long before they started leaking?

Although I do believe that you do have a genuine cause for complaint I think you might have to write this guy off as a bad job. It'll be cheaper to get someone else in rather than chase him down through the legal system. Plus all the while that's going on you've still got a leak.

Take photographs now, and make sure you've got a paper trail. That way you could attempt to get him retrospectively. Whomever you get in, make sure they are gsr and get them to give the whole installation a once over.

Or you could call gas safe themselves and request a free inspection. If the guy was as shoddy as you say there would be other issues you may not be necessarily aware of. That will only bolster your case.

Can you bang up some pictures on here? The leaking valves, the boiler and any other items of concern.

Although I do believe that you do have a genuine cause for complaint I think you might have to write this guy off as a bad job. It'll be cheaper to get someone else in rather than chase him down through the legal system. Plus all the while that's going on you've still got a leak.

Take photographs now, and make sure you've got a paper trail. That way you could attempt to get him retrospectively. Whomever you get in, make sure they are gsr and get them to give the whole installation a once over.

Or you could call gas safe themselves and request a free inspection. If the guy was as shoddy as you say there would be other issues you may not be necessarily aware of. That will only bolster your case.

Can you bang up some pictures on here? The leaking valves, the boiler and any other items of concern.

I'll try and get some pictures up. My other concern is the plumber went down under the subfloor void to fit a new gas line and as he went under he kicked a lot of the pipes that feed the radiators. The pipes which run under the void arnt fixed to any joist, they appear to be layed without any fixing running in same direction as joist (probably another cowboy fitted these long time ago). The void is about 2 ft. How can I be sure there isnt a slow/small leak on these pipes? I have a water meter and I've checked that overnight to see if it changed and so far seems ok. But I suppose my question is of my limited knowledge of how central heating works is that it simply circulates the same water i.e. its not exactly using it as you would when say you flush the toilet. So would a leak be noticebale on these pipes via a water meter?

Any other way to ensure there isn't a leak without having to rip up all laminate and floor boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock