Discuss Kinder Oasis gas fire problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foodface

Hello again

Got called to service a gas fire yesterday, was getting dark so decided to bump it on to this mornings jobs. While discussing the history of the appliance with the customer she reported that over the years the performance of the flame in and around the coals had began to wain and now she gets very poor flame. I began to ask the usual questions, she said it had been serviced every year. So as usual I had a preliminary look at the appliance, as she said the flame was pathetic, the pilot lit OK but when you opened up the gas valve 2 things happened. 1. the flame didn't increase very much along the burners and 2. there was more worringly a back flame that went all the way to the gas valve and momentarily set the valve a light for a split second.

I thought this was very concerning but figured a good service would either a. rectify any problems or b. indicate where any faults lay.

So i conducted a service and the appliance looked like it had not been serviced for years (contrary to the customers reports), there was an tremendous amount of debris collected at the bottom of the chimney and the appliance itself was filthy. I stripped and cleaned, as usual. The burners looked in good nick and I cleaned and used my compressed air on them. Checked the gas valve and connections for any loose fittings, as the flame back to the valve was alarming.

Put back together and same thing happened again, only worse. Flame outside of the burners, jumping back to the gas valve. I have obviously disconnected the appliance and have written a report.

I suspect that the gas valve is the cause, just wondering if anyone has had anything similar, will more than likely recommend a new appliance but just curious as never had anything like this before.

Also I rolled in gas paste and soot, which is now adorned to my arm. Any tips on how to remove the offending black paste would be grateful too, as water and soap thus far have not worked.

Thanks in advance.

Foodface

Oh my goodness, I have had my Kinder Oasis HE fire for a few years now and I too have experienced a dreadful heat output. I have just thoroughly vacuumed the flame output bed and the base of the fire also. Its a pig to put back together, the coals are a nightmare to get right. Front coals are touching glass (cant seem to avoid this). anyway, heat output is slightly better but still appalling for such an expensive fire. I am thinking of buying a different make next time. Audrey.

Oh my goodness, I have had my Kinder Oasis HE fire for a few years now and I too have experienced a dreadful heat output. I have just thoroughly vacuumed the flame output bed and the base of the fire also. Its a pig to put back together, the coals are a nightmare to get right. Front coals are touching glass (cant seem to avoid this). anyway, heat output is slightly better but still appalling for such an expensive fire. I am thinking of buying a different make next time. Audrey. just out of interest, this fire has been serviced by qualified gas engineers

With the greatest of Respect Audrey you shouldn't be hoovering or moving the coals as they are intrinsic to the performance of the fire. By the sound of it you do have a problem but you really need a gas safe engineer to look at it. If you want to discuss further then you are best off registering with us and starting your own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kinder Oasis gas fire problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Conditions: nearly 10 year old boiler WB2B, heating mode off, DHW on or also in standby, Boiler shows no fault LED on, no new fault logged, room...
Replies
Views
Back