Discuss Is this taking the Michael? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jgw1

Asked a plumber for a quote to move a rad in Beaconsfield.

The new rad is to go at the other end of the room, 4.5m away. The joists run perpendicular to the required pipe run. I said that I didn't want plastic pipe and that I wanted the joists notched and the pipework run in copper. So ~13 joists to notch as they are at 35cm spacing.

The quote has come back (late) at £340 and includes that I should

1. Drain system (I said I would do this as part of the work - save an hour or two on the price)
2. Lift the floorboards
3. Supply radiator and valves (I said I would do supply these as part of the work)

Plumber will then run pipe, test and commission.

My opinion is that the plumber doesn't want the work. Thoughts?

Seems steep to me considering your supplying the gear and doing half the work by lifting floorboards.
No idea where beaconsfield is though....

If you were just supplying the gear and he was doing all the work then its probably the higher end of average. Imo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah we had another quote for the same amount, with supply and fit and no drain. However we didn't particularly like the plumber, although he did turn up on time and give a quote in a reasonable time. He tried to sell my wife the idea of buying a pack of seven rads for the house rather than the one that we actually need for the move.

You mean you werent going to help him fit it for that price aswell

It does feel like that. Perhaps I should become his apprentice. I am happy to drain the system and save a few £, I could actually probably do the pipework tbh. But I am not set up for floorboard lifting and joist notching. Also there is a flat downstairs so if I **** it up it isn't only me affected.

Am I right that there is nothing in the job as I have described it that is a complete ballache, OK notching 14 joists is a hassle, but par for the course right?

Its a simple job and although it hasnt been said directly mate id say your being ripped off personally. To say your going to drain the system and lift the boards is taking the mickey a bit its part of the job. Its also asking for trouble afterwards when a customer has drained down incorectly (depending on the system). Or are you ment to be filling it back up and comissioning it yourself. As for notching the floor all he will do is get a saw make two cuts and knock the piece inbetween out with a hammer unless he does it as we are taught and round the inside of the corners of and ensure the correct depth, which to be honest ive never seen done in practice. Get more quotes unfortunately knobody on here can give you a price openly it causes trouble but id say your well over with this.

It does feel like that. Perhaps I should become his apprentice. I am happy to drain the system and save a few £, I could actually probably do the pipework tbh. But I am not set up for floorboard lifting and joist notching. Also there is a flat downstairs so if I **** it up it isn't only me affected.

Am I right that there is nothing in the job as I have described it that is a complete ballache, OK notching 14 joists is a hassle, but par for the course right?

If I'm completely honest, i would rather turn up and do everything myself so I know it's been done right, and would probably expect you to be a nightmare customer. I'd also prefer to supply the materials so I know I'm getting the quality I'm used to. I wouldn't offer any discounts on my usual rate.

Draining down is a 5 min job usually, and by supplying your own gear, you're a) Taking a little profit from your plumber, b) providing materials of unknown quality and c) not saving any money.

That said, the quote seems high, but he probably thinks the job will be a pain and doesn't want to take it unless its worth the hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said the brand and dimensions of the rad and the valves (Stelrad and Pegler) and specifically asked him if he is happy to fit them. Don't think that that is unreasonable nor anything of a nightmare customer there.

Sounds like he's put it down as a day's work - not cheap, but not really OTT imo.

He probably hasn't allowed less for you draining down - while he's waiting for the system to drain he would be pulling up the boards, so no real saving.

Best way would be to get a couple of more quotes, and see what you get.

Simple jobs can still be time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is this taking the Michael? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

N
Hey DIY enthusiasts, Just wrapped up a drain installation and wanted to share some quick tips for a smooth project: 1. Plan Smart: Think about...
Replies
Views
Nasir Ahamed
N
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock