Search the forum,

Discuss Internal cistern flush valve replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I have to replace the flush valve and/or the washer but unfortunately it's inside the vanity unit.
The only way is removing the toilet.
I turned the screw on the cistern pipe to stop the water.
I removed all the silicon around the toilet, now I can easily lift up the Front panel but it's still partially stuck pushed by the toilet.
Can I remove the 2 screws/bolt at the side and pull back the toilet or there is something else to do first?

1709805357700.jpg

Inside:

1709808392021.jpg

Last edited:
Is there anyone able to advice on this please?
You can ping off the plastic caps on the screws each side of the toilet, and undo the screws which will allow the toilet bowl to be pulled forward. The soil pipe seems to be a flexi connector, so assuming you don't need to move the toilet far, the soil pipe may remain connected properly. You may have to pull the flush pipe out of the back of the bowl, but best not to if you can avoid it!

Could you not have removed the small top panel with the flush button, and reached in to undo the flush valve that way?

You can ping off the plastic caps on the screws each side of the toilet, and undo the screws which will allow the toilet bowl to be pulled forward. The soil pipe seems to be a flexi connector, so assuming you don't need to move the toilet far, the soil pipe may remain connected properly. You may have to pull the flush pipe out of the back of the bowl, but best not to if you can avoid it!

Could you not have removed the small top panel with the flush button, and reached in to undo the flush valve that way?
Hi, I have already removed the top panel but I don't have enough space to work.
The plastic cistern is screwed to the wall, If I remove the screws, move the toilet out enough to be able to work I should to replace the washer under the dual flush valve located inside the cistern.

Hi, I have already removed the top panel but I don't have enough space to work.
The plastic cistern is screwed to the wall, If I remove the screws, move the toilet out enough to be able to work I should to replace the washer under the dual flush valve located inside the cistern.
You probably know that a dual flush valve usually has a bayonet style connection to its collar in the bottom of the cistern, so turning it anti-clockwise should unlock it so you can pull it out. While the flush valve is out, it's wise to clean the washer's mating surface at the bottom of the cistern.

You probably know that a dual flush valve usually has a bayonet style connection to its collar in the bottom of the cistern, so turning it anti-clockwise should unlock it so you can pull it out. While the flush valve is out, it's wise to clean the washer's mating surface at the bottom of the cistern.
yes , i saw many video about the connection...my concern was about the toilet and the soil/flush pipe.
I think I will pull out the toilet keeping the flush pipe connected.What do you think?

You won’t keep the flush pipe connected so you will need a new washer for this eg flush pipe connector

Also on your picture see if you can push the drain in so you can’t see the fins as it looks half out at the moment

You should be able to remove the panel without moving the pan. If the panel has a circle cut for the pipes you will have to remove the pan, once you have the panel out- recut the cutout to a continuous hoop that will drop over both flush pipe and soil pipe for future maintenance. ( I cut mine to the shape of the penguin/chicken in Wallace and grommit when it’s been caught in the milk bottle)
Once you’ve repaired the flush valve, reconnect the pan using new flush pipe seal and check this for leaks (20 flushes) before you replace the panel ( if the panel won’t fit without moving the pan then it is worth re-thinking the panel attachment method so that it will.

The panel has been cut for the pipes but when I lift it up it blocked by the glass top and the bottom part is still stuck by the toilet that's why I have to pull back the toilet.
Now can I manually pull back the soil pipe 1 and keep the flush pipe 2?
1709808392021.jpg

I will remove the screw that keep the plastic cistern on the wall (see pic)
1709898546355.jpg

I will pull out the toilet with the flush pipe and the cistern (empty) still linked and replace the flush valve.

What do you think?

Do what you have to do to gain access.
Then cut that bottom section of panel right down to the floor so in future it can just slide up.
I would still replace the flush seal as these mould themselves to a certain position after a short space of time and IT WILL LEAK if disturbed the tiniest amount, trust me just replace it (or add sealant for a bodge job instead)

Do what you have to do to gain access.
Then cut that bottom section of panel right down to the floor so in future it can just slide up.
I would still replace the flush seal as these mould themselves to a certain position after a short space of time and IT WILL LEAK if disturbed the tiniest amount, trust me just replace it (or add sealant for a bodge job instead)
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-08 at 3.39.56 PM.jpeg

This is the culprit !
I'm going to replace it with a new one (£10-12);)

View attachment 87383
This is the culprit !
I'm going to replace it with a new one (£10-12);)
New updated, yesterday I was able to replace the piece in the pic and everything worked fine but this morning I had to push the button twice to stop the water running.
I wondering if I had to replace the rest of the kit at the bottom of the cistern, I mean the part you screw the flush valve in.

New update,flush valve replaced but I have the same issue again!Aaargh.
As I said I will try to replace the rest of the parts that came in the box I purchased.

As I said I will try to replace the rest of the parts that came in the box I purchased.

If the new flush valve you purchased was not exactly the same as the original, there's a good chance the bottom fitting (that you didn't change) is not compatible with the new valve. So a good idea to fit both new parts.

If it’s the same model you should be able to leave the old cradle in place.
Make sure the valve seat is clean.
Are you sure you’ve re-assembled the valve into the seat correctly?

If the new flush valve you purchased was not exactly the same as the original, there's a good chance the bottom fitting (that you didn't change) is not compatible with the new valve. So a good idea to fit both new parts.
I will and check if it improve the things👍

Reply to Internal cistern flush valve replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock