Discuss Insurance payout for stolen materials and tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Strat

Evening everyone,

2 weeks ago I arrived at work to find that the locked garage had been broken into and all the materials stolen, the site box had been smashed open and the tools were taken. The police were called and did their bit and provided a crime reference number.

I let the office know what had happened and they said they would need a full list of all tools and materials stolen and that they would deal with it. 2 weeks have passed and the office are "busy sorting out the insurance", finally today I received a phone call saying that they would only cover £600 each (two people on site) even though there were thousands in tools taken. In regards to materials and the few company tools, they were covered by "other insurance" and they would get the full amount back for them.

I feel totally let down. They are basically saying that its our own fault for having our personal tools on site and they are prepared to generously pay the £50 excess.

Is there anything I can do?

thanks.

I don't know how you stand, but I do not leave my tools anywhere sitebox, lock up I don't care I couldn't sleep at night if I did.

Mine are in the van and I can see that now sitting on my setee.

that said I hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for the response. We have always been told that there is insurance covering our tools, just not how little the amount was.

In regards to keeping them in the van, we don't have company vans, just our personal vehicles.

Not self employed.

We are paid mileage to use our own vehicles.

Not self employed.

We are paid mileage to use our own vehicles.

I think that speaks volumes! Sorry to hear about the theft. I wouldn't be leaving my tools on site. I've seen how fast a tape measure can vanish let alone power tools etc. You could seek legal advice but I doubt it would get you far unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum tho!

I think that speaks volumes! Sorry to hear about the theft. I wouldn't be leaving my tools on site. I've seen how fast a tape measure can vanish let alone power tools etc. You could seek legal advice but I doubt it would get you far unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum tho!

Thanks for the reply.

I pretty much thought I'd have nothing to go on.

i guess from now on I won't be using any of my own tools and they will have to provide everything.

The old tools and sentimental tools won't be so easily replaced. Thieving gits!

The old tools and sentimental tools won't be so easily replaced. Thieving gits!

That is the most painful part, all the unusual stuff I've acquired over the years. I keep remembering things that I'd forgotten to write on the list. It will take months to get back to where I was and my employer doesn't seem bothered.

All the money I've invested in him and his business.

I found out that he got a quote from BSS for all the materials at full RRP and sent that to the insurance company, then purchased it all with the company discount.

That is the most painful part, all the unusual stuff I've acquired over the years. I keep remembering things that I'd forgotten to write on the list. It will take months to get back to where I was and my employer doesn't seem bothered.

All the money I've invested in him and his business.

I found out that he got a quote from BSS for all the materials at full RRP and sent that to the insurance company, then purchased it all with the company discount.

This says it all for me + what sort of company boss want his workers going to customers houses in there cars how do you get materials about?

Its all the little bits and bobs plus little bits you make up for things as well, i know its hard in the current climate but i"d be looking elsewhere

Check your home contents insurance, some policies cover you for belongings even though they are not at your home.

This says it all for me + what sort of company boss want his workers going to customers houses in there cars how do you get materials about?

Its all the little bits and bobs plus little bits you make up for things as well, i know its hard in the current climate but i"d be looking elsewhere

Supposedly one of the most prestigious firms in the country with a 90 year history.

Materials are delivered direct from suppliers or the ONE company van

sue his bum for breach of contract, you will get an angle in some where.

legally they cannot claim rrp on materials only the purchase cost to them so you have them there..

sue his bum for breach of contract, you will get an angle in some where.

legally they cannot claim rrp on materials only the purchase cost to them so you have them there..

I'd have to prove it though wouldn't I...

you could try if you want me to work I need the tools replacing side, see how that works, its all tax deductable to the co but in future trust no one and buy your own cover

you could try if you want me to work I need the tools replacing side, see how that works, its all tax deductable to the co but in future trust no one and buy your own cover

Well tomorrow will be a productive day as I've found a tape measure to take in...

I got told when younger that never leave tools on job as you may not even be there next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Insurance payout for stolen materials and tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have tried hard to get similar to the first class satchwqell /Sunvic SML type revolving type valves instead of the quite short lived spring...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it? I hired a bathroom...
Replies
Views
10 months ago had a new Glow-Worm gas boiler installed in our bungalow. It failed nearly a month ago when a gasket internally in the HW feed cct...
Replies
Views
Back