Search the forum,

Discuss Glass wall channel for very out of plumb wall? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it?

I hired a bathroom fitting company to gut and replace 4 bathrooms in a block of holiday flats. In one of the bathrooms they missed an extremely out of plumb wall. Their tiler tiled the wall, fitted the glass, then realised the wall was leaning back so much the glass wouldn't sit on the tray. Instead of telling me, they attempted to cover it up with a 20mm wall of white silicone between the glass and tray! I'm not sure how it hasn't fallen off as nearly the whole weight of the glass must be held by the wall channel.

All of the bathrooms were stripped out completely and they had a joiner & plasterer on the team, so it would have been quite easy to plumb the wall up before the tile backer and plasterboard was fixed in place.

If I can't find a wall channel with enough adjustment I was thinking of building a tiled pillar off the wall and then fixing the channel to that. The other thought I had was to cut into the tiles and inset the channel into the wall to gain a few mm.

I live about 250 miles from the site, so if I can't find an oversized channel it's going to be a lot of hassle bringing all my gear up to fix this. Getting them back in is not an option, their finish was shocking and I'm already having to redo all of the silicone work in the other bathrooms myself. I don't trust them not to make a mess of fixing this.

IMG_3288.JPEG
IMG_3289.JPEG

You could get some aluminium c/u channel for the bottom eg 30mm c/u channel

Or you could use it for the wall and make your own adjustment and drill into the chrome missing the glass

You could get some aluminium c/u channel for the bottom eg 30mm c/u channel

Or you could use it for the wall and make your own adjustment and drill into the chrome missing the glass

I hadn't thought of that. If I filled the channel with silicone it would take up the weight of the glass if it ever slipped from the out of plumb wall profile.

I'm having no luck finding a suitable wall channel with 50mm of tolerance.

You could always add some packers for the glass to sit on in the alu channel so if it did move it wouldn’t go far

Honestly, easiest fix might be to just get a new piece of glass cut from a glass shop.

Figure out how much out of level it is and get the front edge cut 20mm/30mm whatever it is longer than back edge.

Top of glass will be level, bottom will sit on tray and back edge will fit snug in channel.

I know it sounds drastic, but glass isn’t that expensive and saves a load of time messing around.

Honestly, easiest fix might be to just get a new piece of glass cut from a glass shop.

Figure out how much out of level it is and get the front edge cut 20mm/30mm whatever it is longer than back edge.

Top of glass will be level, bottom will sit on tray and back edge will fit snug in channel.

I know it sounds drastic, but glass isn’t that expensive and saves a load of time messing around.

You're right, that could be the easiest solution. I did have a quick look on the internet for custom glass, but it was around £600. I'll have to speak to a local shop, see if they can do any better.

Mmmm...I like Shaun's option if you could find some aluminium channel deep enough, that seems the neatest and probably cheapest. Alternatively get a piece of channel made up in aluminium or even stone to match tile.

Ok, thought about it. How about using two pieces of aluminium unequal channel to make up the right sized U channel? One side will be lower than the other but it won't be noticed if on the inside of shower. You could just use a single piece but then you'd see the filled gap on the inside.

You're right, that could be the easiest solution. I did have a quick look on the internet for custom glass, but it was around £600. I'll have to speak to a local shop, see if they can do any better.
I got one from a local shop for £120. Go to a small shop.

Reply to Glass wall channel for very out of plumb wall? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock