Search the forum,

Discuss instinct eco-mag leaking, what's a good replacement? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there!

First post here, I'm not a plumber.

So glad i find this video....

I have the same eco mag filter, and it was all boxed in....only discovered yesterday that the old boiler cupboard which is now my wardrobe is full of black mold! So been cleaning that all out yesterday :-( My eco mag was also covered in corroded brown metallic goo on top....it's only leaking ever so slightly. So, my question is, this something I can fix myself? Don't really want people in to fix it :-( Can anybody recommend a good replacement for it? Gas here....but judging by the vid all i need to do is turn off both taps and swap it out?

I've just been doing some searching and it looking like there are a lot of options varying from £35-100 ish....don't want something cheap if it's going to go again :-(

i'm just watching a few videos...and is 150mm the standard gap between the pipes? or is it something that could trip me up? it looks to me like a very easy job to swap it out and i wd rather get the part ordered in time for the weekend...but i know looks can be deceiving :-( hoping some kind soul here can help me out a little bit....

Fernox omega with valves should fit if you have a look at the instructions will tell you how much pipe / gap you need

Fernox omega with valves should fit if you have a look at the instructions will tell you how much pipe / gap you need
Thanks Shaun! It is hard to measure what I've got but it looks about right...seems to me those bolts can slide up and down a little bit, so a little bit of flexibilty there? See if i can find one that's affordable right now....

actually just been hunting and I nearly just bought a set that came with the chemicals, until I noticed it didn't come with valves....are they strictly necessary as I already have some, I'm just wondering on a compatability issue? What I got is the same in the youtube link....seems that there is only a 22mm version...so that must be what the pipework is right...? just a little apprehensive as not done anything like this before, but can't afford to pay out hundreds and possibly get a muppet again :-( don't want to wreck my parents house....

actually, bit tired but I just twigged....if i do change the valves, i've got to drain the whole system haven't i....? :-( boiler m8 should be a str8 swap out I think, but possibly the same on the fernox tf1 omega...and can get a good deal on that with chemicals, oh the dilemma!

The the boiler mate is all plastic and tbh there rubbish

The reason for the valves is the unit comes with flat faces for rubber washers the unit should fit your old valves upto you

ok this is weird, i had a further query but something about my post the system doesn't seem to like and won't let me post it :-( I can't figure out what is wrong, anyway to pm on here?

i'm looking at a TF1 unit on **** for around £73 it comes with chemicals, both of them which sides to me like a really good deal and we're all struggling for cash atm, just no valves with it, and i can't seem to buy them separately.

A adey magna clean would be a better choice , you can get replacement parts for the instinct filter I have got them from Plumbcity. Kop
that is plastic though? metal one looks better....i just can't seem to find a pic that clearly shows the pipes and still worried it won't quite fit :-( from what i read instinct has been discontinued so can't get the parts, but i shall have a look at plumbcity, thanks!

It finally got here! The guy was a bit slow posting it...but two probs now, I have Covid and don't feel well enough to be doing it right now. Also, I got the installer pack, so have the F1 and F3 liquids...not read anything yet, but there looks like there should be some kind of tube/ trigger mechanism that isn't there....should that not be in the pack? Or do I need to buy that separately? Anybody knows what it is called exactly? Thanks!

So, after recovering from Covid I finally felt well enough to do the job today. Had helluva job getting bolts undone, we're in a limescale area! But it turns out the connectors are not compatible. As in it seems the top bolts are designed in a way that they won't come off and looks like a slightly different thread to the replacement...so beyond my skills! So, I need a plumber in the Holbeach area....ideally a skinny one as it's very awkward/ hard to reach. So somebody used to working in confined spaces....how much are we talking for this kind of job? Also, late afternoon/ early evening would be best.

So, after recovering from Covid I finally felt well enough to do the job today. Had helluva job getting bolts undone, we're in a limescale area! But it turns out the connectors are not compatible. As in it seems the top bolts are designed in a way that they won't come off and looks like a slightly different thread to the replacement...so beyond my skills! So, I need a plumber in the Holbeach area....ideally a skinny one as it's very awkward/ hard to reach. So somebody used to working in confined spaces.

Hi
Would you please advise, which filter was an easy swap without changing pipe work around?

Hi
Would you please advise, which filter was an easy swap without changing pipe work around?
I got the Fernox omega in the end, tried to do it, but turned out i had some weird pipework in the end....so had to get a plumber in! Was lucky though, find a decent guy that didn't charge the earth....if you happen to be in the Spalding area I would recommend!

Reply to instinct eco-mag leaking, what's a good replacement? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock