Search the forum,

Discuss inlet working pressure drop between meter and boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

poodelek

Hello everyone

I wonder if anyone could help me get some answers…
Last year I had a new boiler installed. Before I had an old fashion boiler (installed in the lounge) so most of the system had to be replaced. Pipes run from the meter to a junction giving one branch to a cooker and one to boiler. I think that only pipe after this junction (pipe going to the boiler) was replaced by plumber fitting new system.
Last week I had an gas engineer for boiler inspection. He found that boiler inlet working pressure at high rate is only 15mbar whilst outlet pressure from the meter is 20mbar.
He suggested that there is a problem with pipework between meter and boiler, probably undersized pipe. I checked the system and it looks like there is 22mm all the way except narrowing in few joints. I also noticed that pipe is narrowed to 15mm directly before it enters the boiler. Please see pictures uploaded. Would 15mm pipe on few elbows/joints cause such a big pressure drop or could it be something else? It does not look like the system was flashed at installation or inhibitor was added but I wonder if this could be a reason.
I have no idea about plumbing and gas systems and I dont want my plumber to take an advantage of it.
Please advise

Attachments

• IMG_0881a.jpg
    IMG_0881a.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0882a.jpg
    IMG_0882a.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 59
Nothing to do with flushing or inhibitor, all down to gas pipe size. Readings on site," trump " theoretical calcs. Readings indicate his instrument is within calibration limits and pipework needs sorting. Take his advice.

I'm more worried about the state of your gas pipe work

Gas cooker flex connecting to hob and boiler, reducing wrong way (pipe sizing )

time to get a different gas safe engy in me thinks

I'm more worried about the state of your gas pipe work

Gas cooker flex connecting to hob and boiler, reducing wrong way (pipe sizing )

time to get a different gas safe engy in me thinks

Thanks for your reply
Does it mean it should be 22m equal tee brass? Is it likely that pressure drops right there?

Nothing to do with flushing or inhibitor, all down to gas pipe size. Readings on site," trump " theoretical calcs. Readings indicate his instrument is within calibration limits and pipework needs sorting. Take his advice.

thanks for you reply. Im sure he's right. He only said somewhere between meter and boiler. I want to know if that junction could be responsible for the problem or its likely to be something else

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply
Does it mean it should be 22m equal tee brass? Is it likely that pressure drops right there?

Should come from the meter/ nearest 22mm pipe if it can cope

Looking at your picture I'd say that its not only undersized but also illegal.

Yes who ever fitted the hob also is naughty

Should come from the meter/ nearest 22mm pipe if it can cope

not sure if I get it right. Does it mean inlet to tee brass should be 22mm? The pipe from meter to that point is 22mm all the way. Sorry if Im a pain but, as I said, I have no experience in plumbing at all. thanks

Who in the world fitted that?? Definitely not gas safe, did you check their ID. I realise it's after the event but needs sorting definitely

Why has the new engineer only commented on the pressure drop, and not noticed the illegally fitted cooker hose????

Looking at your picture again surely this is a wind up as the left-hand angle says to meter

Thinking the same, needs a mod to wind it up now I reckon.

Ooh do you? Perhaps you're right. Op there is enough in only one photo to worry me greatly. I'd recommend getting a new gas safe engineer in to take a look.
Thread closed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to inlet working pressure drop between meter and boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock