Discuss Immersion Heaters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fitted 2 immersions to the same cylinder in the last 8 months. Both have blown. They are 11in and bottom immersions on a huge cylinder that takes 3 hours to drain down. My electrician friend has checked it and cannot give an electrical reason for this to happen. Has this happened to anybody else? Anybody any advice? There didn't appear to be a lot of scale in the bottom of the cylinder, however both times it was getting late so did not investigate fully.

cheap immersions and acidic water often combine to fail early. try one of these 11in Incoloy Immersion Heater | NoLinkingToThis

How many more immersions does it have?
If the cylinder takes 3hrs to drain, either the drain off cock needs looking at or it needs a few more kw of heating in the cylinder.

How many more immersions does it have?
If the cylinder takes 3hrs to drain, either the drain off cock needs looking at or it needs a few more kw of heating in the cylinder.

Or it could be a unvented cylinder and he's not draining it correctly

Some sort of electrolytic action or cheap and nastie immersions.

I think the quality of a lot of immersion heaters is just really poor these days. I used to work in a plumber's merchant and we got them returned faulty almost more than anything else.

It is not unvented. Large vented around 250 ltrs, has top immersion and bottom economy 7 immersion. It is normally heated by oil boiler but in the summer the clients use the economy 7 immersion.
The house is quite large and a long landing before stairs. Cylinder starts draining okay initially but then slows to a trickle for the last 6 or 7 inches which take ages.

What was the mode of failure? e.g. was it scaled up, was it corroded, was the element open circuit? Knowing how exactly it failed will give clues as to why it failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion Heaters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the...
Replies
Views
E
Good evening everyone :), I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a...
Replies
Views
Dear All, My hot water cylinder (approx 45 years old) is fitted with a bottom mounted immersion heater controlled via a timer and an Essentials 7"...
Replies
Views
J
I can't get a consensus on this from four plumbers that have visited. We've been using the system with no prpblems for 7 years - but the cylinder...
Replies
Views
My daughter has all electric heating, however, the lower economy 7 immersion has failed (high resistance short to earth). I received what I...
Replies
Views
Back