Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater problems! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

E

EvieB1

Good evening everyone :),

I’ve recently moved into a new flat that is completely electric (It’s got a dual immersion heater) and just had a smart meter installed.

The dual immersion heater and has two separate switches - one is labelled top. I’ve had them both on since moving in but just seen on the smart meter that it’s costing me about 1p/ minute! Dread to think how much that’s been costing, but also it had only been giving me about 15mins of hot water before going cold.

It also has two separate controls, I assume one for each part of the heater, where you can set ‘on’ and ‘off’ times.

I set them both to the same times (a few hours in the morning), as I don’t know which one controls which part and turned both switches on. But when I turned both the switches on the energy meter starting rapidly increasing even though it wasn’t within the ‘on’ periods I set.

Just to add I’m not on an economy 7 tariff, though may switch to one just need some advice on how to use the system in the interim!

I have a few questions is anyone is able to kindly answer because I am completely clueless!

1. Should I be keeping keep both switches on or turn the top (expensive one), or do both need to be on for the heating elements to work?

2. Is this the correct way to set the times, I.e same times for both parts?

3. Is there a possibility the bottom heater isn’t working as I was only getting 15mins hot water even when I had both switches on

Thanks so much for your help!

Is it an unvented cylinder? Sounds like issue with bottom heater. Maybe thermostat. It may have just gone out on high limit and you may be able to reset it.

Ideally bottom heater works overnight to heat tank on cheaper rate. Then the top one is a boost if you need additional hot water through the day.

Reply to Immersion heater problems! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've recently replaced an immersion heater for a direct cylinder, for 2.75-3kW. The new one seemed to be working a week before I got a callback. I checked the resistance of the immersion heater, and it read 19ohms, and the voltage on the live and neutral read 230V, but there was no humming or...
Replies
Views
I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the top of the tank and then, subsequently, a longer element comes into play. With a bath/sink switch the longer element may be disabled. The topic of such...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Has anyone fitted a Tesla T-Smart immersion heater and can comment on reliability ? On Amazon, there are mixed reviews, with one saying that it is dangerous as it didn't turn off properly. I spoke to Tesla and they said that those reports were early teething issues (but I guess they would say...
Replies
Views
I want to replace my old immersion heater, it currently has a dual immersion with bath/sink switch, we only ever need the whole tank heated so can i replace with a single immersion? or if i am doing it a a DIYer is like for like easier.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock