Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heater replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I want to replace my old immersion heater, it currently has a dual immersion with bath/sink switch, we only ever need the whole tank heated so can i replace with a single immersion? or if i am doing it a a DIYer is like for like easier.

Has the dual heater failed and in need of replacement?

If it hasn't and the bath element is 3kw then you wont gain anything by fitting a single 3kw heater.

Are you sure its failed?, could simply be the thermostat, (one stat does either element) switch over to the "sink" and see if it heats the top half, if not then more than likely the stat which you can easily test with a multimeter.

As long as the threads are the same (which they should be), it shouldn't be technically difficult to fit a shorter immersion if that's what you want to do. If you are just replacing it due to age, do be aware it won't save energy as, even if the heater is limescaled, the heat will ultimately go into the water as it hasn't got anywhere else it can go, so limescale doesn't actually reduce the efficiency of immersion heaters as commonly believed.

I think DJ only ever used the long, bath, element, doesn't say if its solar thermal or solar PV thats being installed but either way should look at getting the immersion element with the thermostat rod the same length as the element otherwise if the top of the tank is hot, a short, 11" rod thermostat may not close when 1/2 the cylinder is cool/cooler, very important if using a solar diverter to heat all the tank.

Reply to Immersion heater replacement in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock