Discuss How to fill this hole in? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hiya all,
I'm taking out an old toilet (the space is going to become a storage room).
I'm planning to take the current cast-iron waste pipe out (either pulling it through, or cutting at both ends).
How best should I fill in the hole in the wall that is left?
Thanks again for all your advice,
Jennie

2013-11-27 12.44.19.jpg

hi
thats lead pipe.

just render the hole over with sand and cement mix

Oh wow. I had no idea they made waste pipes out of lead. Will it be softer to cut through?
How about this sand/cement mix? Should I mix it together outside on a flat, largish piece of cardboard?
[DLMURL="http://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/hanson-sandcement-mortar-bag-25kg-1578-p.asp"]Hanson Sand Cement Mortar Bag 25KG | Mortar Mix Pre Ready[/DLMURL]
Thanks,
Jennie

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear a glove or place a piece of old cardboard against the brick or you will have no skin left on your sawing hand. Sand and cement in the ratio four to one will do the job or small tubs of ready mix are available from local DIY outlets for under a fiver

You can cut the lead with a hacksaw a wood saw a knife or just kick it off. It is soft.
You need to learn to be multi skilled in this trade. How you patch the hole depends on what they are willing to pay for, remember your time is money.
Easiest if they are not fussed is stick a bit newspaper in the hole and fill over with a bit mortar.
If they are fussy (which it doesn't look like they are going by the brick that has already been patched in) buy 3 bricks the same, cut out the ones around the hole and rebuild it
You can use the premixed stuff you linked if you wish but personally i buy a bag of sand and a bag of cement. This will cost you about 6 quid and fill in a dozen holes and the sand will run out well before the cement does.
Mix it in a bucket at a ratio of about 4 trowel full of sand to 1 cement. Add a squirt of fairy liquid to the water for mixing as this plasticises the mix making it easier to work with.

Nothing wrong with expanding foam, if it's done correctly. smooth the surface with a wet blade and it 'should' remain waterproof. I only advocate this method of hole filling for smaller holes and not larger ones - I won't go into the actress/bishop vernacular in this instance but it does seem appropriate. :)

You can cut the lead with a hacksaw a wood saw a knife or just kick it off. It is soft.
You need to learn to be multi skilled in this trade. How you patch the hole depends on what they are willing to pay for, remember your time is money.
Easiest if they are not fussed is stick a bit newspaper in the hole and fill over with a bit mortar.
If they are fussy (which it doesn't look like they are going by the brick that has already been patched in) buy 3 bricks the same, cut out the ones around the hole and rebuild it
You can use the premixed stuff you linked if you wish but personally i buy a bag of sand and a bag of cement. This will cost you about 6 quid and fill in a dozen holes and the sand will run out well before the cement does.
Mix it in a bucket at a ratio of about 4 trowel full of sand to 1 cement. Add a squirt of fairy liquid to the water for mixing as this plasticises the mix making it easier to work with.
As always wise words!!

Nothing wrong with expanding foam, if it's done correctly. smooth the surface with a wet blade and it 'should' remain waterproof. I only advocate this method of hole filling for smaller holes and not larger ones - I won't go into the actress/bishop vernacular in this instance but it does seem appropriate. :)
I am really not a fan of foam for anything except......well nothing relevant to this trade. It just shouts out amateurish job. And if you are only there for an hour or so there is no way you can trim it off neat as it will still be curing and expanding.

I'd just use ready mix cement myself. Unless customer really wanted me to brick it back up in which case they'd be paying for me to go and buy some bricks.

If in a rush then sod it........GRIPFILL.......is that a swear word??

Tut tut Kyle you should know better than using that kinda word !!

ask the customer and when they hear of cost implications itll be sand n cement patch 9/10 times

Tamz stop grinding your teeth you're scaring the youth!

I've cracked my last bottle of green label that i promised i'd save for new year and they have stopped making it so no more.
It will get worse before it gets better:lol:

Wouldn't use that expanding foam. It's probably tops for window fitters, but filling an hole in outside wall with it will not last forever. The sunlight turns the foam into powder soon enough. Also mice & rats can easily get through it & even have their young in it.

Last edited:
Expanding foam is for filling gaps, not patching holes!

sand and cement patch unless they are willing to fork out for your time to match bricks and cut them in :)

invest in a tub for mixing up plaster,sand and cement. Just keep it clean.
and for putting scrap in.
and rubbish.
and rubble.
and for draining pipes/boilers

the small ones are pretty useful :)

[DLMURL="http://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/gorilla-tubs-gorilla-tub-small-14-litre-23007-p.asp"]Gorilla Tubs Gorilla Tub Small 14 Litre[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
gripfill ay no gud for outside stuff. Ask my brother, he gripfilled his cars side skirts on and sold the car, the guy who brought it got a shock when they fell off while drving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to fill this hole in? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock