Search the forum,

Discuss How to ask to be a plumbers mate or ask a compamy fo they need an apprentice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.... I'm a nervous guy when it comes to picking up a phone and sound confident asking for something like an apprenticeship.

I have tried to email or message company's but it doesn't work. I have previous experience (fitting bathrooms & all the plumbing obviously not on my own).

I just want to know how you would start the conversation or if you are an employer yourself how would you like me to start the conversation?

I'm 20yr... just nervous but really want to start the trade.

Start by accepting that cold calling most businesses hoping they'll have an opening has a fairly low chance of working. (As compared with applying for advertised jobs.) You are going to have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find someone with a job waiting to be filled.

That said, nothing beats an in-person meeting when it comes to persuading someone of your passion and to give you a chance. If you haven't done so already, get yourself a simple CV -- one page clearly stating your contact details, education / training, experience, and the type of work you are looking for (no bullshit) -- so you can leave a copy with them to keep on file. Get someone with good English skills to check it over for you. Keep a couple of copies in a folder so they stay fresh and clean when you hand it over.

When you meet people be polite, cheerful and enthusiastic about what you want to do. Stay cheerful and enthusiastic even if they can't offer you anything because things people look for these days are 'resilience' and 'professionalism' not 'snowflake'. Be ready for them to call your bluff with a skills-test so keep your hand in and your knowledge up to date.

Also, use the search box on the top right of this page to look for threads discussing how to get work. Lots of good advice from people with lots of experience and some great ideas.

Last edited:
Start by accepting that cold calling most businesses hoping they'll have an opening has a fairly low chance of working. (As compared with applying for advertised jobs.) You are going to have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find someone with a job waiting to be filled.

That said, nothing beats an in-person meeting when it comes to persuading someone of your passion and to give you a chance. If you haven't done so already, get yourself a simple CV (one page clearly stating your contact details, education / training, experience, and the type of work you are looking for (no bullshit) so you can leave a copy with them to keep on file. Get someone with good English skills to check it over for you. Keep a couple of copies in a folder so they stay fresh and clean when you hand it over.

When you meet people be polite, cheerful and enthusiastic about what you want to do. Stay cheerful and enthusiastic even if they can't offer you anything because one of the things people look for these days is 'resilience' and 'professionalism'. Be ready for them to call your bluff with a skills-test so keep your hand in and your knowledge up to date.

Also, use the search box on the top right of this page to look for threads discussing how to get work. Lots of good advice from people with lots of experience and some great ideas.
Hi, thank you for the tips. I am from Northern Ireland so the search box doesn't really work for me since (nearly) all thread are from England.

I know i have to hear alot of say "No" before I get a "Yes" or a "Maybe" just need to keep asking and keep going...

I have an idea to offer myself for a month (Free) and if they find me useful or are willing to take me on as an apprentice after they see what I have to offer and if we get along... but I dont know if offering yourself out free for a month is a good idea?

Kind regards
Eoin

whats a month in 50years of work, knocking on doors is a good idea, try talking to a friend or family and try out your patter first on them, if you know what you are going to say it will make you more confident

I have an idea to offer myself for a month (Free) and if they find me useful or are willing to take me on as an apprentice after they see what I have to offer and if we get along... but I dont know if offering yourself out free for a month is a good idea?
I'm not up to date with the details but my understanding is that to be a legitimate arrangement, you'd have to be employed on a temporary contract for at least minimum wage. Working 'free' unless it is part of a placement for a college course, tends to cause all sorts of legal and insurance issues.

whats a month in 50years of work, knocking on doors is a good idea, try talking to a friend or family and try out your patter first on them, if you know what you are going to say it will make you more confident
Thats what I'm going to do then... offer myself out on a month trial, to see if they will take me on based on the skills I have. I am confident in person but over the phone is different in person I can sell myself... over the phone not so much and its not like I can meet up with a load of plumbers... of interest. I'm going to try my best though... nothing comes easy.

Kind regards
Eoin

Reply to How to ask to be a plumbers mate or ask a compamy fo they need an apprentice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock