Search the forum,

Discuss How do I fix this leaky tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

newbie here so be kind please. We have a leaky tap in our bathroom and not 100% sure how to go about fixing it. It’s the cold tap that’s causing the drip, but not sure how to take it off and service it. Any help is greatly appreciated. See pictures for the tap 😊

Attachments

• B4DFE0AB-596F-4BA4-BED7-8717C631EAA2.jpeg
    B4DFE0AB-596F-4BA4-BED7-8717C631EAA2.jpeg
    908.2 KB · Views: 10
  • A5249598-B489-43DD-BBDE-472C6331D0E4.jpeg
    A5249598-B489-43DD-BBDE-472C6331D0E4.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 85FB2519-320B-43C2-A437-F0064748E9C2.jpeg
    85FB2519-320B-43C2-A437-F0064748E9C2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
1. They are quarter turn taps, so you won't be able to service it, but will have to replace what is known as the "cartridge" inside.
2. To replace the cartridge you will need to either know the make and model of the taps and order appropriately or take the cartridge to a decent plumbers' merchants and see if they can match it. (Take the handle as well so that it can be tried on possible replacements).
3. To remove the cartridge you will need to:
3a. Isolate the flow to the cold side of the tap. If you are lucky there will be isolation valves under the basin. If they are the normal type, use a flat bladed screwdriver to move the slotted screw in the middle of the valve until it is at right angles to the length of the valve.
3b. Remove the handle. This could be held by a grub screw at the back, or may just pull off.
3c. Remove the cartridge by unscrewing the large hexagonal nut. This may be stiff, and you will need to hold the body of the tap to stop it turning.
4. Unless it is a known make of tap you may find that you can't get a cartridge for it, in which case you have little alternative but to replace the taps.

Further to the above, to remove the handle you may need a small flat screwdriver to lift out the small circular button on the end of each of the handles. A Philips screw may be hiding underneath.

Reply to How do I fix this leaky tap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to change the washer on the dripping hot tap in the photo, does anybody know how to remove the dome tap handle, there's no fixings or grub screw anywhere, thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
This is probably obvious but I want to replace the cartridge to stop dripping. I have done similar before but I cannot work out how to remove the tap head! i thought the hot/cold circle would pop out but no such luck and don't want to damage. can anyone help? Thanks Martin fix the caple
Replies
Views
Hello, my toilet is leaking please see the attached video and photos, what is the best way to fix this please, it seems that it might be simple but not sure where to start or what to buy, thank you in advance! The old home owner put the putty around the fixing, it’s clearly not doing anything!
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, I can’t get one cartridge to budge when trying to replace in a mixer tap. The hot side cartridge was tight but removed with wrench comfortably, but cold side is so tight Ive burred the nut on the cartridge. Any advice on how else to remove the cartridge without damaging the mixer tap is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock