Discuss How deep can adhesive cover a gap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have replaced a concealed shower and the new one and all works well. I have covered the hole I made, to remove the old valves with tile backer board which is 10mm, a little slimmer than the 12mm plasterboard used previously. I seem to have a deeper level behind the tile than before and have made one attempt at re-tiling but with a 10x10mm adhesive spreader, it didn't seem to provide enough depth to align with the other tiles.

I have seen alot of videos of tilers but they always seem to start with a dead flat wall which I dont.

I have heard about buttering the tile and was about to try buttering the back of the tile with the adhesive spreader as well as the wall to give me more volume behind the tile to keep in line with the other tiles. Is this the best way to do it?

I haven't done tiling before but only have 6 to put back in place.

Thanks Matt

Attachments

• 20220611_161628.jpg
    20220611_161628.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220614_142007.jpg
    20220614_142007.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220614_141959.jpg
    20220614_141959.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 13
You could skim the backer board first with tile addy and let it set or just use a bigger notch trowel eg instead of 6mm use an 8mm and always back butter tiles

Notch adhesive on wall, and notch it on the tile, you’ll need to experiment altering the angle of the trowel to get correct coverage. But once you’ve found it it should be easily repeatable.

Reply to How deep can adhesive cover a gap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it? I hired a bathroom...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming...
Replies
Views
Hi all Relatively inexperienced homeowner here. Apologies in advance if I get any terminology wrong. Today I noticed some limescale accumulation...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've recently ripped out a full bathroom and am replacing it with new everything. The old bath was P shaped with a fixed shower head coming...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock