Search the forum,

Discuss Accessing concealed cistern toilet to investigate leak in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Relatively inexperienced homeowner here. Apologies in advance if I get any terminology wrong.

Today I noticed some limescale accumulation on/around the grout between the floor tiles next to my toilet. I realised that the grout line right next to the toilet was in fact wet to the touch (having just flushed the toilet). On closer inspection I could actually see down to the floor beneath the tiles through a small gap in the grout line, and when flushing again I was able to visually confirm water movement inside the gap. Clearly there is a leak here, seemingly connected to the toilet flush (potentially a faulty flush pipe?)

Unfortunately I live in a relatively new build and my toilet is part of a concealed system, as such I have no idea how to actually get access to the toilet plumbing to be able investigate the leak. Hence I am turning to the power of this forum in the hopes of getting some guidance.
  • The vertical panels directly behind the toilet look like they might be removable, but it's not obvious to me how.
  • Access doesn't seem to be possible via the cabinets either side of the toilet.
  • The horizontal surface above the toilet is a continuous panel that extends all the way around the sink and into the wall, so I'm hoping that doesn't need to be moved.
  • The sealant job around the toilet seems to be pretty poor (compared to toilets in other bathrooms in the house), which makes me think that the previous owner may have had to access this in the past...
I'm really hoping there is an easy way to gain access that involves minimal damage to the rest of the bathroom!

Photos 1-5 show the toilet setup. Photos 6-8 show the gap where I first noticed the leak (located immediately to the right of the toilet).

I'd be very grateful for any advice. It'd also be useful to know whether this is likely to be a simply DIY job or whether I need to call in a professional.

Thanks in advance!

Toilet 1.jpg

Toilet 2.jpg

Toilet 3.jpg

Toilet 4.jpg

Toilet 5.jpg

Gap 1.jpg

Gap 2.jpg

Gap 3.jpg

Good chance the panel with the push button in is just clipped in
If more access needed the panel behind the pan (when any silicone cut through) will probably lift up.

I agree with exedon.
If you can’t take the upper panel off, don’t get a screwdriver and lever it as this will damage the panels.
If you remove the door from the cupboard to the right (probably has clip off hinges) then you will be able to remove the upper panel without damage.

Thank you both! I wasn't able to access the top panel from the cupboard to the right, but I did manage to pull it off using a sink plunger (it was just clipped on).

This gave me quite a good view of the cistern and flush pipe. Upon flushing there seems to be an obvious leak around where the cistern connects to the flush pipe. See photos and videos attached.

I haven't yet gotten around to cutting the sealant to remove the bottom panel, but it does look like it's just clipped vertically so hopefully it can be removed without moving the pan.

Going off those videos, what sort of fix is likely required? Does the whole cistern need to be replaced?

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_224920.jpg
    IMG_20230209_224920.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230209_224906.jpg
    IMG_20230209_224906.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230209_224853.jpg
    IMG_20230209_224853.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 6
  • VID_20230209223959.mp4
    2.8 MB
  • VID_20230209223849.mp4
    2.1 MB
If it only leaks when flushed then it's the seal around the white flush pipe into the syphon / flush valve.

The pipe has possibly dropped and the seal come off, at worst it may be the flush pipe was cut too short when originally installed.
It'll need supporting after it's put back in to stop it dropping again.

The video below shows the pipe and seal out, the pipe in the video was cut short on the section to the W.C not up to the cistern.

I took a few more videos which hopefully show the setup and the leak more clearly:

Reply to Accessing concealed cistern toilet to investigate leak in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock