Discuss Holes in floor joists for waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Not this one! either say the structural engineer who fully "understands bending moments"

I think I can recall my first year statics course at Uni...
The bending moments acting on a beam haven't changed just because it has holes drilled in it but it's ability to resist them has been compromised. Cutting holes can initiate cracks that can propagate when beams are loaded, mostly because of low tension strength perpendicular to grain of timber. Crack propagation changes the failure mechanism of beams, and fracture can occur at considerably lower than predicted loads therefore reinforcing the area to avoid it is a fairly common sense solution.

20140918_103703.jpg

I think I can recall my first year statics course at Uni...
The bending moments acting on a beam haven't changed just because it has holes drilled in it but it's ability to resist them has been compromised. Cutting holes can initiate cracks that can propagate when beams are loaded, mostly because of low tension strength perpendicular to grain of timber. Crack propagation changes the failure mechanism of beams, and fracture can occur at considerably lower than predicted loads therefore reinforcing the area to avoid it is a fairly common sense solution.

20140918_103703.jpg
Great, so you could make an informed decision if you wanted to drilling holes in joists.
My point was/is, should we be encouraging those who don't have your knowledge to be cutting hole, thinking that screwing lumps of ply to each side will make things all right?

The OP had already been given the advice on hole size and position to which I simply added that they could also reinforce the beam to which you decided to snidely take umbrage with. Report it or wind your neck in.

Last edited:

Reply to Holes in floor joists for waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, please see my attached diagrams One is the current layout And one is where I propose to add another boss to add a shower waste...
Replies
Views
Morning all. What size diamond holesaw do you use for drilling the hole in a quartz countertop for a basin waste to go through? I have a house...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock