Discuss Help with chip board flooring please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to move a radiator in a bathroom and it's going to involve cutting into the chip board floor. Can any of you tell me what to do or look out for please or provide links to online videos please? Many thanks!

all floors are held up with joists so you want to find those as you want the floor to go back ontop of the joist..

cut into the floor, set the saw up so it cuts only a little bit into the floor and keep adjusting the saw till you only just get through the flooring.. checking with a light..

once the saw is set up try and find a joist, if their is non you'll have to brace around the floor you just cut up..

try and cut a square hole to stop your self looking like someone who doesnt have a clue..

once the floor is up, fit your pipes, ooh and start the saw before you press it up to the floor and not while hard up on the floor or it'll jump back and cut your leg off..

when looking into the hole you have just drilled, be sure not to get poked in the eye when shoving the pipe through.

Chip board flooring can actually be easier than floor boards once you get used to how to do them.

If you have a rip snorter they are easy. If not you can use a pad saw to get started then a normal saw. Punch any nails down through the board.

google ' routerbout', its basically a circular hole cut into the chipboard using a jig and router. the cut out can just be replaced without any need to brace because the cutter on the router forms a lip so it just acts like a lid, which makes it a good place to fit service valves because you have easy access.
Brilliant tool.

If the house was built within the last ten years it could have those shocking fabricated joists as it will be glued to death. Hence new boards required to re-lay the floor because its impossible to open up without damaging the boards

Cut the boards on the joists and down 1 side, punch the nails and lift. Dwang the side you cut and mix the sawdust with pva to fill the gaps. If it is a long run of boards and you can't be rsed to move all the furniture, rip the board down the middle and lift then dwang and fill as before. Easy if you have a paslode too.

Eh.........noggin.......I had to think about that. Bit 2 x 2 or 3 x 2. Paslode is a nail gun.

Chip board is a nuisance but tongue groove i think is worse , chip board makes a mess tho imo

No need to call jay-kay a noggin tamz, he only asked ;)

Different terminolygy is hard to understand sometimes. 1st time i worked abroad, in England, i would hear the joiners talk about architraves and think wtf are they.....facings for the uneducated northeners :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
with chipboard floors the most important thing is puting them back down correctly because the material is very weak, if you dont support it you will get movement. tile over it and you may get problems. Best to fit timbers between joists along cut lines to make sure its all solid.

JOIST.jpg

Different terminolygy is hard to understand sometimes. 1st time i worked abroad, in England, i would hear the joiners talk about architraves and think wtf are they.....facings for the uneducated northeners :lol:

abroad lol england you need to get out more tamz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with chip board flooring please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I live in a house that is 20yr old. There is a single soil stack running from the top floor (of three) through the first floor bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hello, We live in an 18 year old town house on three floors and have lived here from new. We changed the downstairs cloakroom and the family...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I want to increase the system pressure to 1.5 bar. Following the user manual (found one online) and some YT videos the filling link...
Replies
Views
Evening all, So I had an eventful day yesterday, was asked to replace some floor boards as they had rotten out, set my depth on my circular to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock