Search the forum,

Discuss Help tightening mixer tap in kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Missjoe

Hi,

i needed to replace my mixer tap in the kitchen.

i have fitted it (kind of!)but can't get it tightened up.

I tried to fit to bolt first then the flexi hoses - the tap is nice and tight but the flexi hoses won't screw on. Then I tried to loosen the bolt and attach the flexi hoses. So the hoses are attached but they are all so close to each other that I cannot get a spanner or even a specific monobloc spanner up to tighten the nut!

Any ideas???

If you cut a hole in a piece of wood same size as the whole in the sink, use that as a packer so the bolt is lower down where theres more room on the flexi to get a monoblock spanner on

Congrats for getting this far joe , it isnt an easy job, if you cant get a spanner on them ...... I had better be careful here lol. You need to get a firm grip and the best way i can describe it is get the hose hard without bending it lol . Then turn it as far clockwise as poss. 9 times out of 10 it will be tight enough. Just have a good luck when you turn the water back on and check for any leaks . These hoses are often overtightened when you use a spanner

^ i may have misread, i was more thinking hoses
Not sure what you mean.

The tops of the flexi pipes and the bolt I need to turn are so close together I can't get the mono bloc spanner up far enough.

A spacer or something might work but where could I get one??

You need a set of these.
The braided hoses going into the tap should just be hand tight, any tighter and you risk snapping them inside the tap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 78
I got a set of these yesterday thinking they were the solution! but can't get them onto the brass bolt because the flexi hose pipes are so close

Hi there missjoe, is the tap from liddle or aldi by any chance because I've came accross this problem quite a few times when my customers have bought taps from these places and the way the tap is designed the nut always hits the top of the flexis, this can help keep nut away,

imagejpeg

Just checked its the same size all the way but thanks for the suggestion

Get under the sink in the unit, face up, pull the flexi hoses away from you and push the hex spanner onto the nut do this before connecting the hoses up to the pipes.

Okay sometimes that happens when the tap is to far forward in the hole? Can you undo the nut a bit with you hand then wiggle the whole tap around to get the spanner on then remove after?

Okay sometimes that happens when the tap is to far forward in the hole? Can you undo the nut a bit with you hand then wiggle the whole tap around to get the spanner on then remove after?

Ch4 plumbing - loosened up not and got hex on but it will only retighem so far

I'm at the end then without having a look, sorry but never had this much of a problem.

The more recent Franke monoblock and Triflow taps came with a threaded brass tube with a nut brazed on one end...in effect a long nut. It screws on to the threaded rod that fits into the monobloc. It's about 5cm long so it's easy to spin on with fingers and to tighten with a spanner.
I haven't seen them except in Franke tap kits but then I haven't had to look! You'll also need to find if they have the same thread as your monobloc but it could be what you need.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help tightening mixer tap in kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock