Discuss Help please its driving me mad! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darren

I have been trawling through posts for the last few months so before I go ahead and spend money just thought I would ask.
I know this has come up many times, as I have read most posts but I can't seem to find an answer as to why all of a sudden?
For the last few months but never before, (I have lived here for 14yrs) when any of my 3 toilet cysterns finish filling or my washing machine or dishwasher finshes filling or when I connect my pressure washer to my outside tap there is one bang from what appears to be the pipes as the water shuts off, always in the same place and always only one loud bang. I cant get to or see exactly where the noise is coming as it is under the bathroom somewhere or thats where it appears to be. My confusion is why or what may have caused this to start. No work has been carried out on the plumbing in the house over the last 12mths, the only thing I did have was a leaking gland on the stopcock at the begining of the year which I tightened up. Is it possible this is the cluprit as I have read about people suggesting these can be the cause otherwise it looks like Im going to have to go ahead and fit arrestors to all 6 areas?
Any help much appreciated.

may be that the water supplier fixed a leak and subsequently you have higher pressure.

if you run a cold tap and then flush the toilet keeping the tap running, when the toilet stops filling does it still bang?

Hi just tired that and it didn't bang, I will try all the toilets etc again tomorrow when the house is a bit quieter ( no kids or wife around) but it didn't appear to bang so is a prv the answer then fitted just after the stopcock.
Thanks for the reply.

yes, that would be the quickest and easiest solution

Sounds like there is an unclipped pipe under the floor boards so the sudden stoppage of flow is causing pressure wave and moving any unfixed pipe work

Hi Tom, I'll get one and fit it this weekend, will one of these suffice or do I need to be spending more money?
Honeywell D04FS-ZC 15 pressure reducing valve 15mm (1 pack)
I'm guessing once fitted its trial and error slowly reduce the pressure until the pipe stops banging, without loosing the flow through showers etc. I have a mains pressure hot water system, coil passes through tank which holds hot water for my heating system.

Cheers.

Water hammer. Happens when valves in washing machines or ballvalves shut suddenly and the moving water (which has momentum) suddenly has to stop. Usual way is to put an air cushion by making a tee with 15 or 22mm pipe, vertical piece of pipe for 4" or so with end sealed. The air absorbs the pressure stopping the hammer.

Water hammer. Happens when valves in washing machines or ballvalves shut suddenly and the moving water (which has momentum) suddenly has to stop. Usual way is to put an air cushion by making a tee with 15 or 22mm pipe, vertical piece of pipe for 4" or so with end sealed. The air absorbs the pressure stopping the hammer.

Why not just fit a shock arrestor

Why not just fit a shock arrestor instead of contravening the water regulations and creating a dead leg of pipe work over the acceptable amount...

Hi so are you saying I don't need a prv as its not going to solve the problem what I actually need is shock arrestors fitted to every appliance and toilet that causes the bang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help please its driving me mad! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Morning everyone, if anyone could please offer advice on this issue it would help me with a massive issue regarding the water supply in my flat...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have an almost 1 year old SaniCompact Comfort wall-hung toilet which has worked flawlessly until about a...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock