Discuss Help needed with strange looking (to me) Bath drain connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gcgold

I hope someone can shed some light. Boss Lady bought a bath that weighs 27 stones for our loft conversion and I have been lumbered with the job of fitting it. Mate who is a plumber has helped me get waste pipes etc installed but doesn't want to know the bath, and who can blame him.Now that the joists have been re-inforced and the 25mm WBP ply is down and we somehow managed to get the bath up into the room ( long story) I have decided to have a look at the bath. I always thought I would have to connect the drain from underneath (ie via the ceiling in the kitchen) so no probs with accessing the 40mm waste pipe.See the attached picture. The bath has a sort of void underneath about 45mm high. Connected to teh plug hole is a flexi connector which can be bent and extended to virtually any position. My problem is how to connect this to a bath trap. the end has an outside diameter of approx 32mm. There is a run of about 3 metres so I want to use 40mm Waste pipe.Any suggestions / help would be gratefully received :rolleyes2:

Attachments

• bath drain.jpg
    bath drain.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 103
hi welcome gcgold. i believe that you form a trap with the flexi part it should come with a sort of clip which is attached to the flexi to keep it in position. you then get an adaptor to go from 32mm to 40mm then away you go!

Throw it away and buy yourself a macalpine bath waste kit as previously mentioned

Feel like throwing the bath away - except I cant lift it coz its so heavy. Will source a Macalpine bath waste kit now . Many thanks for your prompt responses.

It is definitely the overflow pipe. I suggest you do as scotty says.

More trouble than its worth fitting. You will be back to fix a leaky bath waste if that gets fitted

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

OH DEAR............... Having read the prompt responses I went back and inspected the 'monster' I now have a further problem. There is no sign of an overflow in this very heavy very expensive bath :sick: The damned thing is that big I dont think the country has enough water to completely fill it but will the lack of an overlow mean that the Building Control geezer might have something negative to say ?

From the pic that to me looks like a cheap overflow from a kitchen sink.

Like the guys said but a mcalpine one and blank off the overflow connection, you may need to cut a hole in the floor to fit the trap and hope it doesn't land on a joist.

Never really come across a bath without an overflow except plastic ones where you have to drill a hole for it.
Not sure if it's building regs, but I would guess that it is. Regs aside, if that bath weighs a ton and someone leaves a tap open, the overflowing water may weaken the wooden floor underneath it.
I'd be worried if I was in a room below it.
What's it made of? Would it be possible to drill one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help needed with strange looking (to me) Bath drain connector in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back