Search the forum,

Discuss Help/advice wanted Ideal Elan 2 (very noisy high pitched whistle) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod Lyne

Hello folks, I am new to the forum and would just like to say any help would be greatly appreciated.
My mother is a pensioner who lives on her own since my dad passed away. She rang me up asking what she should do about her boiler as it is making a hell of a noise.
A new replacement boiler is not an option (she just hasn't got the money)
It's an Ideal Elan 2 with Honeywell control panel.
She had a plumber out a couple of months ago who replaced the wiring to the wall mounted control unit and replaced a valve that he sheared in the process (this cost her £300)
Now it has developed a new problem.
Every time it cuts in the gas burner stays on full power and there is a high pitched whistling throughout the house emanating from the boiler (the high low settings on the boiler don't seem to make any difference to this at all)
Fortunately it is quite warm at the moment and she can live with the gas fire only, but this wont be the case for long.
The boiler is set up to provide central heating and to assist an immersion type hot water system.
Both heating and water still work it's the noise that's the problem and the fact that the boiler stays on full when it's lit.
She is using the electric immersion heater on its own at present and that appears to be fine.
Does anybody have any idea as to what may be causing the problem and more to the point can it be repaired reasonably cheaply ??, Is it dangerous ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and then at least I may be able to source some parts.

Thanks in advance

Rod

You need a good gsr engineer. Other than telling you that, that's as far as it goes. Ask about for a recommendation or post in the 'I'm looking for a plumber' section on here.

Hi sorry to hear about the problems you are having. For reasons of safety we cannot and will not give out advice relating to gas work to the public. The best thing to do is get a gas safe registered engineer in. Or even put your location on here and someone close by could possibly help

Hi folks, Thanks for the replies.
I don't think the problem relates to leaking gas or anything in that respect, it's as it the water may be getting too hot perhaps something like that

Again thanks for the replies though

My mum lives in Hornses HU18 by the way

Hi folks, Thanks for the replies.
I don't think the problem relates to leaking gas or anything in that respect, it's as it the water may be getting too hot perhaps something like that

Again thanks for the replies though

My mum lives in Hornses HU18 by the way

Is that Hornsea, Rod? I used to live in Bridlington just up the road. I think Tamz has given you the best route if your mam qualifies. I think we have a message on the phone nearly everyday saying we hav'nt applied for our 'free' boiler.

Yes it is Hornsea (my typo) just getting in touch with ECO now

Wish me luck folks :-{ )>

Has anybody heard of CHARIS in relation to boiler assistance

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help/advice wanted Ideal Elan 2 (very noisy high pitched whistle) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock