Discuss Hello - I've got a 40 year old Potterton Diplomat! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tobias

Hi All,

Thought I'd better come to a forum to get some advice, as to be honest I feel like I'm going a bit crosseyed with the advice so far from plumbers.

Basically, I've just bought a 1920's semi detached 3 bed 2 storey 1 bathroom house in London, which amongst several cool period features has a not quite so cool Potterton Diplomat boiler (floor mounted in kitchen cupboard), very old hot water tank (in bathroom on 1st floor above boiler) and 8 very old radiators installed.

The boiler has been serviced and maintained annually by the previous owner, and appears to work well. However my gas meter becomes a blur when I switch the boiler on, the archaic timer has now packed in, and I can hear "bits" of metal (?) sloshing around in the radiators, so I think its time to get the whole lot replaced!

Having got some advice and quotes from 2 plumbers, I am told that the following works are top notch but not excessive for our requirements (about right for the property now but will allow for future expansion of the property e.g. converting the roof to 2 more bedrooms and an ensuite). The cost is £6,500-00 all in.

Basically, I wondered if anyone could give me a street on whether the cost is about right, and whether the works are indeed roughly appropriate and not overly excessive. The spec is as follows: -

- New Worcester condensing system boiler (assume 30CDI) relocated to loft space complete with flue etc, all associated roof tile works around flue, Worcester DT10RF Digistat, programmable room stat and diverter valve assembly.
- All Worcester Bosch works and product to be covered by 7 year manufacturers warranty.
- New 210 indirect unvented hot water cylinder (complete with 25 year guarantee) adjacent to new boiler incl providing isolation valves on cold inlet and hot outlet and balanced cold.
- Extend gas supply from under stairs (ground floor) to new boiler in roof space via outside of building.
- Run new boiler condensate pipework as required in suitable locations to avoid it freezing
- Run new 22mm pipe for central heating flow and return, hot water, cold mains, balance cold water, gas and safety discharges from the boiler and cylinder around the eaves of the loft space and down into the house connecting at appropriate points, extending 22mm cold mains to the existing stopcock.
- Insulate all new water carrying pipework in the loft space.
- 8 number new Stelrad softline radiators (complete with 10 year warranty) complete with TRVs and lock shield valve sets as follows: -
- Modify pipework to suit new radiator sizes and locations (incl lifting and relaying carpets and floorboards etc as required) to make pipework alterations under the floor.
- Test and fill central heating system, ensuring all elements are working correctly
- Chemically flush with Sentinel corrosion inhibitor, then refill system adding sufficient Sentinel corrosion inhibitor for the size of the system and removing air.
- Test and commission the boiler and unvented cylinder in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.
- Provide building regulations compliance certificate for all works undertaken.
- Provide all warranties and guarantees as listed above.​

Sounds spot on mate, good boiler, good cylinder and a good price. Id say go for it

I won't comment on price as I don't know the job.
I would suggest that a system of that age would need more intensive cleaning than has been recommended.

Sounds Ok, but I dont like boilers / cylinders in loft, unless its the only option.

Rather than altering existing pipework I would recommend all new imo

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice - it really is much appreciated. It sounds like the works are probably about right, so I will go ahead.

JTSPlumbing - Yes unfortunately the loft is the only option.

Mountainman - Thanks for advice - I will take up the issue of more intensive cleaning with the plumber

Ecowarm - please could you explain what an IMO is?

40 year old pipes and rads, go for new throughout or a 7 yr warranty on the boiler wont be any good as they will find a million reasons to walk away worcester or not (not for me prefer baxi/intergas)

As lame plumber says go for all new. At 40 years old this could have imperial pipe work making future changes a pain. You will also save on the power flush which should almost cover the pipe cost as you are changing rads anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello - I've got a 40 year old Potterton Diplomat! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock