Search the forum,

Discuss Green Pak 90 WarmFlow Oil Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you're all going to make the most of the sunshine today.

For those of you in front of computers, and more technically able that me, I have a few question that if any of you could help with it would be greatly appreciated.

I have the above boiler, and yesterday it started making some strange noises, turning it off, usually a good start, I checked the usual things, lack of oil, theft happens a lot of it round our way, all good there.

Opening up the boiler cabinet there was a puddle of oil at the bottom, looking further I noticed that to the right hand side of the burner unit, below the condenser trap, this is the air flow screw, or believe that's what it is, it has a dial near it with numbers on.

Anyhow, taking the outside casing off, I don't really mess with anything inside per se', but on this occasion I wanted to see where the fuel was coming from, the whole air void was full of fuel and overflowing, this explains the bubbling sounds I guess, not being able to stop the overflow I then turn the oil off from tank to boiler, but being gravity fed, and quite some distance between the two a lot of fuel would still been in the pipe.

That done, and oil still overflowing I decided to undo the one nut that fixed the boiler the back plate below the baffles. As I separated the two, Niagara!, the entire bottom of the baffle void was full of oil, with a substantial amount still in the burner, full to be correct.

Not being unhandy, and having a complete burner unit taken out of the exact same boiler we replaced maybe two years ago, the reason why we keep this unit was that prior to the new boiler being fitted we were advised to get a new controller unit, this didn't fix the problem so the guy who installed the new one said to keep the unit just in case our one went, I've stored it ever since.

Having a bit of time last night I decided to strip down the one that I had saved to see what it's makeup was, overall it seems to be an extremely simple set up.

Repeating a step by step of taking the old one apart, I copied in on the one that was in the boiler, cleaning the whole thing, removing all traces of fuel and gave it a good clean down.

I also managed to get all the oil out below the baffle by using an old fish tank pump, one that you use a drill with, the fact I nearly got a full builders bucket of oil from inside, which says they're was an obvious issue.

Having put everything back together, no nuts/screws let over as there's only around eight. I turned the fuel on from tank to boiler, and turned it on. The thing seems fine, the fan running all nice and smooth, and certainly no bubbling, but it won't ignite, typically you hear the fan then a second click with flame on! No second click.

Knowing that I had a good, new, controller unit I took the old one off and exchanged it for the new one. Still no flame. For reference I cleaned the sensor, as the previous plumber said that if I have any issues then carbon build up on this was the most likely suspect. At the same time of doing the clean inside I also cleaned out the metal gauze filter, although not bad its perfectly see through now.

As a final thing, I even bled the system to make sure there was good fuel coming through from the tank.

Beyond the above, can anyone help, I've called several plumbers and although the heating isn't an issue, the lack of hot water is a nightmare, anyhow, the earliest I can get someone round is Tuesday evening, if not Wednesday morning.

Having two girls, 16 and 21, and a typical moaning wife, sufficed to say my life is being miserable, even worse, I stink of fuel, no amount of deodorant of aftershave is going to help!!

Any thoughts, information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Same as above post, - get an oil service engineer in to sort it.
You are fumbling about with it to be honest and it can and will go very wrong.
Unusual to have oil inside the boiler and “bubbling”. Are you sure it wasn’t system water mixed with boiler residue?
Post your approximate location

Last edited:

Reply to Green Pak 90 WarmFlow Oil Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install (tank about 1m lower). 10 days later and boiler either doesn't fire or fires stops, fires runs splutters stops. Most it runs now is 10 mins, but that's...
Replies
Views
Hi Oil experts. I had a grant wall boiler with a failed transformer. Carried out a service and pretty sooty nozzle, and baffles build up suggest not cleaned in a while. The bottom baffle on the left corner had completely burnet through. Any Idea on the process on how this occurs and why just...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
We have an oil delivery booked for Friday but we ran out earlier today. We topped the tank with 150L from containers, bled the first boiler from the Allen key until the oil ran free and it fired up fine. Did the same on the second one but that had an E9 over temp error. We reset the thermostat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock