Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Gas meter moved from garage to front of property. How much to extend gas pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, was supposed to be a on a job today, fitting a new radiator to a kitchen, and piping up 2 newly added radiators. Turned up today and the customer has asked me to quote for additional work. The gas meter is being moved from the garage (which is currently being converted to a kids play room) to the front of the property (external) It's only about 8 meters worth of pipe, drilling through to the gas meter and connecting up. He wants it all done in one go and I don't want to be back and forth so said I will return Wednesday and do it all together.

Approximately what would you charge for something like this? Gas pipe will be clipped to the floor, run round to where the meter is, sleeved through the wall and connected up. Nothing big needs to be done.

Thanks.

Edit: it's not me moving the meter, just making the connection to what's already there.

Last edited:
How long you think it'll take × your hourly rate + materials × markup - any discount you feel prepared to give.

8 metres! You'll probably need some 28mm copper = expensive. I'd allow at least five to six hours, plus materials. Do your home work Ash, or you'll get your fingers burnt.

The customer is planning on burying this pipe as far as I am aware, to bring the floor level up to the same as the kitchen so I will have to make sure it is adequately protected. Even though some of what is already there has just had cement poured over it from what I could see.

go with trac pipe or gas tite if it's getting buried Ash.

I think that's what I will have to do thanks Croppie.

I have never used this before, is it easy enough to get fittings to connect on to copper?

I think that's what I will have to do thanks Croppie.

I have never used this before, is it easy enough to get fittings to connect on to copper?

Yes, it even comes with instructions.

i would just wrap copper if it going in screed i would probably use 28 but depends what its feeding and where

i would just wrap copper if it going in screed i would probably use 28 but depends what its feeding and where

It's only feeding a boiler and a cooker. Probably 12m gas run from the meter to the furthest appliance. Looks as though I will be doing the work tomorrow evening once I finish work so it will be a late one. Without compromising on how well it's installed I will be looking to do it as quick as possible.

sticky muck, plastic sheathed copper is an alternative to trac pipe, but if the original is already buried was that sleeved or does it need replacing if your name is going on the job?

It's only feeding a boiler and a cooker. Probably 12m gas run from the meter to the furthest appliance. Looks as though I will be doing the work tomorrow evening once I finish work so it will be a late one. Without compromising on how well it's installed I will be looking to do it as quick as possible.

Only feeding a boiler! Ash come on, is it a combi? If so, chances are it will need 28mm. Don't forget the smallest combis are 24kw.

No it's not a combi. It's a Profile. If It needs 28mm then that's what I will do.

No it's not a combi. It's a Profile. If It needs 28mm then that's what I will do.

I would, explain to custard your future proofing it for if he has a Combi. At extra cost to him obviously.

It's worth questioning them on their future plans. No point in sizing the gas pipe for the boiler there now if they intend to upgrade in the future. They'll end up paying the labour twice. If you use tracpipe or gastite you can buy a boiler kit which includes the pipe and terminal fittings. Cheapest place I found it was BES.

Thanks guys. For what it's worth I have only seen gas pipe upgraded from 15mm to 22mm when combi's have been installed except at a care home where a really big combi was put in and they had it upgraded to 28mm.

That's including all the jobs I assisted on. This job it's currently in 22mm.

At minimum size the pipe for a 1mb drop as per the regs working pressure and advise re latitude for expansion

Does anyone use an online pipe sizing guide they can recommend? At present the meter is on the wall of the garage, 22mm comes off the meter straight down the wall and along the garage floor, straight in to the kitchen for the hob and then to the boiler. All in line, no other appliances. The meter is being moved approximately 4 meters further away.

Does anyone use an online pipe sizing guide they can recommend? At present the meter is on the wall of the garage, 22mm comes off the meter straight down the wall and along the garage floor, straight in to the kitchen for the hob and then to the boiler. All in line, no other appliances. The meter is being moved approximately 4 meters further away.

Well you've got 2 sections there by the sounds of it so will be calc'ed on 0.5mb drop per section.

Calculate the gas rate per appliance. Size the pipe accordingly from viper tables.

Note viper tables relate to 1mb drop per length.
So would need multiplying up accordingly for more sections.

Its very important ash to get this bit right.

>>>>>>My advice is rough based on your outline.
Adding a diagram wit elbows and tees and distances would allow help you more.<<<<<<

An elbow and tee add 0.5m each. Swept bend 0.3m each to total length

I have drawn a dodgy diagram using ms word, using the basic shapes available. Is there any way of uploading it to the thread?

ok i think that has uploaded ok.

It's clear to me as i have seen the job, any questions please ask.

Without even working that out, it needs 28mm.

I will have to come back with that info.

This is where my lack of experience shows, will need to get my head in back in the books.

If the boiler is 24KW and the cooker is about 8Kw, you are good to have it in 22.

Yeh im sure your right.
But its showing ash to refresh his memory

Phil's right, instead of throwing pipe sizes at Ash it'd be more beneficial to him to help him with the working out for future jobs. I know most of you can get it right by rule of thumb and experience but our boy's not quite there yet.

Let's make a good engineer into an excellent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas meter moved from garage to front of property. How much to extend gas pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock