Discuss Gas meter moved from garage to front of property. How much to extend gas pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, was supposed to be a on a job today, fitting a new radiator to a kitchen, and piping up 2 newly added radiators. Turned up today and the customer has asked me to quote for additional work. The gas meter is being moved from the garage (which is currently being converted to a kids play room) to the front of the property (external) It's only about 8 meters worth of pipe, drilling through to the gas meter and connecting up. He wants it all done in one go and I don't want to be back and forth so said I will return Wednesday and do it all together.

Approximately what would you charge for something like this? Gas pipe will be clipped to the floor, run round to where the meter is, sleeved through the wall and connected up. Nothing big needs to be done.

Thanks.

Edit: it's not me moving the meter, just making the connection to what's already there.

Last edited:
It's worth questioning them on their future plans. No point in sizing the gas pipe for the boiler there now if they intend to upgrade in the future. They'll end up paying the labour twice. If you use tracpipe or gastite you can buy a boiler kit which includes the pipe and terminal fittings. Cheapest place I found it was BES.

Thanks guys. For what it's worth I have only seen gas pipe upgraded from 15mm to 22mm when combi's have been installed except at a care home where a really big combi was put in and they had it upgraded to 28mm.

That's including all the jobs I assisted on. This job it's currently in 22mm.

At minimum size the pipe for a 1mb drop as per the regs working pressure and advise re latitude for expansion

Does anyone use an online pipe sizing guide they can recommend? At present the meter is on the wall of the garage, 22mm comes off the meter straight down the wall and along the garage floor, straight in to the kitchen for the hob and then to the boiler. All in line, no other appliances. The meter is being moved approximately 4 meters further away.

Does anyone use an online pipe sizing guide they can recommend? At present the meter is on the wall of the garage, 22mm comes off the meter straight down the wall and along the garage floor, straight in to the kitchen for the hob and then to the boiler. All in line, no other appliances. The meter is being moved approximately 4 meters further away.

Well you've got 2 sections there by the sounds of it so will be calc'ed on 0.5mb drop per section.

Calculate the gas rate per appliance. Size the pipe accordingly from viper tables.

Note viper tables relate to 1mb drop per length.
So would need multiplying up accordingly for more sections.

Its very important ash to get this bit right.

>>>>>>My advice is rough based on your outline.
Adding a diagram wit elbows and tees and distances would allow help you more.<<<<<<

An elbow and tee add 0.5m each. Swept bend 0.3m each to total length

I have drawn a dodgy diagram using ms word, using the basic shapes available. Is there any way of uploading it to the thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas meter moved from garage to front of property. How much to extend gas pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back