Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Fires fitted after back boiler removal. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danv44444

Hi Guys,

Have any of you fitted gas fires after removing a back boiler. Im not quite sure about this? The customer has an inset fire to be installed.
He has cemented the holes where the old flow and return pipes used to come through.
The fire surround had a horse shoe shapped opening but the fire that he wants fitted is square shaped so hes modified the fire surround to suit the new fire.
Does the original flue liner for the old back boiler need to be replaced or can it be re used if tested and is ok?

Sorry if thats all a bit long winded, but im sure someone must have come up against this before.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

you have to inspect the liner along it's whole length and guarantee it for the life of the new appliance which you can't. so yea a new liner

Wait til Santa drops down the chimney and then ask him he the liner looked OK on the way down.

you can but would you pull it out and put it back in?, and i ment gaurantee it if its been on a backboiler for years

just wondering if it could be done with my new inspection camera?

You big kid. It's an interesting point though.

Thanks everyone. So basically a new liner must be fitted first or remove the liner and flow test the chimney?

Yep. Iff the flue liners renewed you'll need a flue box.

This might sound stupid but I've never installed a flue liner before. When you buy a flue liner do you get something with it to seal it at the bottom of the chimney just above the fire? I mean so the fumes don't just go up the side of liner and not up the liner?

Is that why you need a flue box?

quoted by gas man

Re: flue liner
i sometimes use this

Support Assemblies

Part No. Description Unit Price Qty
12026 100 mm - ( approx 132 mm i.d. ) £21.71
12027 125 mm - ( approx 158 mm i.d. ) £22.96
12028 150 mm - ( approx 178 mm i.d. ) £24.65
from bes with pillars bricked up the sides,so your creating a stone chamber

quoted by gas man

Re: flue liner
i sometimes use this

Support Assemblies

Part No. Description Unit Price Qty
12026 100 mm - ( approx 132 mm i.d. ) £21.71
12027 125 mm - ( approx 158 mm i.d. ) £22.96
12028 150 mm - ( approx 178 mm i.d. ) £24.65
from bes with pillars bricked up the sides,so your creating a stone chamber

Fair one, wouldn't it be simpler to use a flue box though.

only used alloy plate to copex with rockwool! screwed up then alloy plate sides and back screwed in £20/?

Depending on the age of the building i'd consider pulling it out and doing it without a liner.
Depends on your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Fires fitted after back boiler removal. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock