Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Engineer Demand ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiffry

Hi All

I wanted to follow a full itme course to be Gas Engineer if there is a job opportunity and a very good demand. Can anyone advise me on it . I do not want to invest around 6000 pounds if there is no demand for this sector.

Thanks

Hi Jiffry

You might want to use the forum search facility - threads like this come up every day.

Heres a few to get you started:

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/48589-how-do-i-become-plumber.html

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/48605-45-want-retrain-plumber.html

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/1326-40-too-old-become-plumber.html

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/44824-good-time-start-apprenticeship.html

As you will see, opinion is divided on career-changers, but the one thing just about everyone agrees is - times are tough and there are too many skilled blokes chasing too little work.

plenty of demand in the winter and not much in the summer, my company has been looking for someone for a month, hard to find a good gsr engineer in the winter

colleges over state the demand, particularly for plumbers, that said once your gsr and experianced in repairing boilers youll be able to find work

Hi All

I wanted to follow a full itme course to be Gas Engineer if there is a job opportunity and a very good demand. Can anyone advise me on it . I do not want to invest around 6000 pounds if there is no demand for this sector.

Thanks

Give me your £6K and i will send you a nice sticker "i am a plumber"

can i get one that says im no gynecologist but ill have a bloody good look:ack2:

Hi All

Thanks

If you want something hard enough, it just gets done.

I work for one of the large energy companies which offer boiler maintenance, wage is pretty good, lots of overtime in the winter, 4 days a week from April til October, pretty spot on really. Although you can't do hobbles (not that I would :wink5:)

hi is there any plumber out there who will take me on am willing to work for free to gain experience with someone who is gas safe registered preferably I am currently in the last year on NVQ level 3 I already have City & Guilds level 2, am based in west Yorkshire am really desperate to work for someone I just cant find anything whys that any idea guys

before you commit to anything just remember the grass is always greener on the other side !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi All

Thanks

hi is there any plumber out there who will take me on am willing to work for free to gain experience with someone who is gas safe registered preferably I am currently in the last year on NVQ level 3 I already have City & Guilds level 2, am based in west Yorkshire am really desperate to work for someone I just cant find anything whys that any idea guys
Where has this all gone wrong? Just going into level 3 and never had a job!
Put yourself in the place of the guy who could teach you. Why? What are your ulterior motives? Will you be an asset or competition?
I'm afraid most of the idiots (and they were idiots) who in the past would do this, have wised up. They are now feeling the pinch as the trade diversify's and prices fall to unsustainable levels. You might find you are on your own here no matter how well intentioned your motives are.
If i could drive a bus i would now make better money than the dross going about here doing this garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on Tamz, there must have been a day maybe a long time ago when you thought ,I enjoy being a plumber. Possibly ? Surely ? Hopefully ?:teeth_smile:

There was a time when i lived and breathed the plumbing. I loved my work. I would work 18hr days 7 days a week and more if i could.
When i met my now wife and we spoke about hobbies etc she didn't believe me when i said work was my hobby. Always has been and even if i get out of this it still will be. Nearly 40 years doing this and as good and better than most but i want out. This trade is no longer what i signed up for. I need to think of a way out which depresses me..

There was a time when i lived and breathed the plumbing. I loved my work. I would work 18hr days 7 days a week and more if i could.
When i met my now wife and we spoke about hobbies etc she didn't believe me when i said work was my hobby. Always has been and even if i get out of this it still will be. Nearly 40 years doing this and as good and better than most but i want out. This trade is no longer what i signed up for. I need to think of a way out which depresses me..

That's sad to hear, but something I hear quite a lot of.

A bit of relevant history...

Employment and training in gas and plumbing was thrown into the free market at the end of the 80's, and the seeds for a skills shortage were sown at that time.

The demand for plumbing and gas services (particularly gas) outstripped supply and the industry saw some very good times. Setting up in business was relatively easy in the sense that customers were chasing skills, and so very little business acumen was required.

In the late 90's FE colleges were brought into the field of training with a brief to address the skills shortage. Also, the increasing emphasis and adjustment to the idea of paying for training was fuelled by the promise of good earnings from setting up in the industry, which spurred on the private training sector.

The FE and the private input into training starting turning the skills shortage around at the beginning of the millennium, i.e. the curve stopped climbing and took a downward path and supply and demand became more balanced. Then along came the credit crunch and the resulting recession, which has made quite an impact on demand for services.

Another dimension (which might be debated by some) is that the new wave of condensing boilers in the early 90's started with boilers that were less reliable than the current ones are, and manufacturer's are now capitalising on the greater reliability of the latest models by providing long warranties of 5, 7, and in some cases 10 years. So yet another factor making an impact on the demand for services.

Another trend that has yet to establish itself is the introduction of pay-as-you-go boilers, e.g. where the boiler is purchased by way of long-term finance plans, or on a rental basis. Which is the province of the bigger installers working hand in hand with finance companies - my own suspicions is that some manufacturer's are involved as well. If this trend becomes established then it will undoubtedly take work away from the small installer. Although it will create jobs for qualified people - but probably at minimal rates for the industry, as the employers will capitalise on the now well established reverse imbalance in the supply and demand of labour.

Had the economy not been hit by a recession, the return to balance in supply and demand would have been more gradual, but it was well underway anyway, and was inevitable. I don't think the plumbing and gas industry will see a return of the golden days it saw during the 90's and first decade of the millennium.

The current recession will no doubt pick up in time, but there are other structural issues around that I think will affect the standard of living of ordinary working people in this country for decades to come, not least, being the effect China is having on the world's economy with their abundance of cheap labour combined with state of the art technology and a thirst for education and training that even the Germans can't keep up with. How far the success of China's business activities will go to suck affluence out of other world economies remains to be seen. What I find ironic is that the only serious consideration I have seen given to such a prospect has been by the Chinese themselves - ten years ago I read an article written for the Chinese authorities warning of the perils of their success leading to failure if they so deplete other economies that their foreign markets fail.

Our own politicians seem far too caught up in blaming each other and spinning up short-term policies aimed at winning over the populist press in the hope of re-election to give any serious consideration to long-term planning. Although I suspect they are actively brokering a recalibration of expectation re the general standard of living for working people in the UK.

In Britain we seem to be in denial of the effect of China's success on our own economy - the received wisdom here being to blame unemployment on those who can't find work, rather than take account of wider structural factors.

The bottom line for any small business providing a service to the community is that success or failure rest on how much money ordinary people have in their pockets.

However, people will always need water in their homes, and probably gas for a good while longer yet. So while things have changed in the industry, there is still business around, all-be-it that there are more people chasing it, and competition is getting fiercer.

New arrivals to most industries are usually keener and more energised than the old-timers who feel weary, and having known better times, feel dissatisfied and disillusioned with the current downfall and state of affairs.

Fools will rush in where wisemen know better, and some will go to the wall quickly, but then others (the brighter and more determined ones) will learn from their mistakes and go forward.

Six thousand pounds is a lot of money if seen in terms of the savings of someone on the average wage, but it doesn't buy a lot of training. Compared to what graduates are paying for their education it's peanuts. But, do your research well before parting with your money, and make sure you get the best value possible. The biggest hurdle may be the experiential side of things, i.e. skills require practice to develop.

Apart from acquiring the necessary trade skills, you will need some business acumen re marketing, and some IT skills will be useful. Personally, I think 'social skills' can be overrated, as being polite and knowing what you are talking about will go a long way with most people. Better to explain things honestly, than blag someone with a load of BS that they may realise was just sales pitch later on. Marketing skills are becoming an essential in the current climate, but word of mouth is always the best kind of marketing for a small business.

Gas and plumbing is no where near as lucrative as it has been in the past, but then what is?

If you have better options, then look hard at them, and compare the benefits and risks between all your options.

The bottom line is that people will always need plumbers, and gas fitters for many years to come, so there will always be some work around, the issue will be how hungry you are, and how motivated you are to go out there and get it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go for.

Hi all, there is a plumber near me he is a sole trader, i checked his gas safe and he had a lot of qualifications compare to some plumbers, he is also LPG & Oil qualified with 17 edition. This guy is busy all the times but doesn't show off his money.

How much MONEY do you think he is making or can make in 1 year?

he has been in the industry for 11 years now.

Domestic qualified for:
help-header.gif
Boats
Cabinet Heaters
Caravan
Combustion Analysis
Cooker
ESP
Fire
Gas Boiler
Leisure
Meters
Pipework
Pool Boiler
Range Cooker
Tumble Dryer
Vented Cyl
Warm Air
Water Heater

Non-domestic qualified for:
help-header.gif
Air heating
Catering
HP Pipework
Laundry
MDPE Fusion
Meters
Pipework
Pipework Commisioning
Plant & Equipment
Vessel & Pipework
Water CH

Last edited by a moderator:
:iagree:

I'm struggling to see the relevence of Mr Mohammed's posts there.

I'm guessing troll but if not my answer would be I hope the guy is earning a fortune!

He's a 6129er going by his past posts.

But you know I've had a gutfull of trolls today!

if he's got that many qualifications he going to have to take a lot of time off when he has to do his re-assesments

when you start out it feels good collecting all those tickets, but after awhile you get good at one thing and stick to it.
having to pay for and take time off for a ticket which isnt making you much money just aint worth the hassle even if it does make the back of your card look nice and full

If i need a new ticket then i charge the cost to the cust and if i dont get the job then it never mattered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Engineer Demand ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to jobs. I would be happy to observe and support where possible. I am now working towards completing and submitting my portfolio. I understand that this...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock