Discuss Gas central heating vs oil radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, please could anyone who's got tips from the trade help advise me.

My house has gas central heating with a combi valliant boiler. It's currently set on "auto" with a timer schedule:

5:30am-7:30am : 24 degrees C
4:30pm-6pm: 24 degrees C
6:10pm-9:20pm: 18 degrees C

The schedule is based on the most actives times in the house so when it's at 24 C its when me and the missus wake up in the morning and come back from work. The 18 C is just to keep the house cosy at room temp for the evening.

Now for the night time, we like to keep the bedroom warm. I currently have a 1500 watts oil radiator in the bedroom which is set on timer from 9pm-10pm.

My wife seems to think it's more economically efficient to have the gas central heating on from 9-10pm rather than using the oil radiator. I however disagree as I believe becuase with oil radiators, it uses oil to heat up therefore the heat is retained better and with abuilt in thermostat its not always on. All our radiators in each room have temperature knobs but the effort to turn them off in the night for the rooms unused is too much effort plus they'll be switched off for when needed in the morning.

I was planning on buying a plug power meter reading then working out how much it costs to run the oil radiator
The one I was going to buy was the one in the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071NZ53WR/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_q.JYBbE59QWRE

I wanted to ask, before making this purchase, is it obvious that my methodology of using the oil radiator in the bedroom is cheaper than warming the whole house again, or is my wife right?

Use a warmer duvet?

Your heating is on until 9.20pm and you have an oil heater on simultaneously running in the bedroom from 9 - 10pm as well?

Turn up your bedroom TRV and just run it for an extra 40 minutes.

I think you should consider insulating and draught proofing your home better it should hold its heat for a certain length of time, are your radiators correctly sized what boiler do you have ?
House is currently draught proof and insulated with double glazing. Radiators are those newer double sized ones rather than the old single ones. Our boiler is the valliant ecotec 937

It’s always handy to have alternative sources of heating esp. if your cen heating ever goes LALA. 24 degree is way high. If your concerned about energy use, which you are then knock it back a bit , jumpers and pyjamas are quite handy. I would seriously look at your insulation and general house construction you seem to be loosing heat big time too quickly. This is a good subject which many will want to watch as winter marches on. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to Gas central heating vs oil radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Hello its my 1st post hope im in the right place We brought a new house a medium-large 3 bedroom semi, we moved in the summer. Now coming to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock