Discuss Fixing Wash Bowls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AJAston

Hi, (First Post)

I'm about to undergo fitting a washbowl on a bathroom unit with seperate mixer tap. I received the bowl from the manufacturer (Vitra) friday. The bowl did not come with any holding down type fixings and the trap arrangment doesn't offer any holding down capabilty. I contacted the manufacturer who has advised me to use silicone to secure the bowl to the top of the cabinet, but somehow this doesn't seem rebust enough. Is this common practice or should I try and work out a way of mechnically fixing the bowl to the unit?

Thanks in advance, for any help.

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Your thoughts are correct. However the silicon method seems the modern way, with this type of situation. With gravity playing a big part problems should not arise using this method.

i would be inclined to use something like sticks like which has a very strong bond and comes in white and clear

personally i would also pva the cut edge of the recess for the basin to protect the counter top from bloating and water damage. allow to dry then drop in the basin using pink grip or similar

Silicone will be fine, done loads like this and never had a problem. I usually smear silicone round the cut edges as well for waterproofing.

use silicon it will be no problem and will be easy to cut of at anytime unlike any adehsive if all the silcon in the world stopped working tommorrow it would be a national disaster
i assume this is a shaped bowl sitting on rather than in a unit so no need to seal any edges as the sillicon under the bowl will prevent any water reaching them
after 24 hours you will be able to lift the unit with the bowl

Last edited:
I've used silicon, came out OK. Here it is:
washb.jpg

Last edited:
I had to remove a basin and pedestal a few years ago that was stuck to the tiles with silicon (no screws) and it fetched all the tiles off. If it can't be fixed with silicone, duct tape, tie wraps or jubilee clips, it can't be fixed!

Thanks for all your helpful advice guys... very useful indeed! :)

Will post here again soon :)

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixing Wash Bowls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Anyone else had an issue with one of these? Ideal Standard 1.5 Dual Flush Valve (SV93467) First visit I cleaned up the base washer of limescale...
Replies
Views
L
Hi all I dismantled the kitchen sink plumbing and cleaned the pipes to improve the slow drainage. However, after I connected the pipes back...
Replies
Views
I have built a custom tiled basin stand for my travertine bowl. See attached photos. I am looking for some advice on how to install the basin...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock